(In the sprit of James’ post, Take Me Back to April.)
Between Wright’s power outage and all the injuries, it’s been a really disappointing and frankly odd season. Here’s a list of things I would have put money against at the start of the season: (apologies for bullet points)
• The Mets would throw two complete game shut outs and they would be pitched by Nelson Figueroa and Pat Misch.
• Tim Redding would have the third most strikeouts on the pitching staff (76.)
• The owner of the third highest WAR for pitchers would be Livan Hernandez despite being released after 23 starts.
• Daniel Murphy Blue Collar Blasts would lead the team. (12)
• Fernando Nieve would lead the team in BA. (333 in 9 ABs)
• David Wright would lead our team in SBs. (27)
• Angel Pagan would have a higher ISO then Wright, Beltran or Sheff.
• Small sample size issues of course, but our top three BB% owners would be Felicano, Andy Green, and Emil Brown.
• Andy Green and Emil Brown would be on the team.
• Fernando Tatis would have the 5th highest positional WAR on the team. (1.3)
• Daniel Murphy would lead the team in UZR. (4.2 at 1st)
Speaking of predictions:
I wanted to pat myself on the back for my best prediction of the season, Luis Castillo bouncing back. I guess-timated a .276/.386/.336/.722 line for Castillo and he actually hit .302/.387/.346/.732. Hooray for me.
Equally, I wanted to put my foot in my mouth for predicting Ryan Church was going to have a re-breakout year. Though he has played D well, his bat didn’t return to the level I thought it would. Boo for me.
I’m sure I’m missing a bunch of other statistical anomalies and I’m curious what you guys feel are some of your best/worst predictions, so I figured we could use this thread to discuss.