Pitchers and catchers report in a bout a month or so and there is still work that needs to be done for Omar and co. Here is what I think they should realistically do to be successful not only in 2010 but beyond.
- Sign Delgado to a one year deal similar to what Troy Glaus got, although the base salary would have to be a bit more than the ~$2 million Glaus got.
- Trade Castillo, Parnell, Holt, Tejada, and Stoner for Aaron Harang and Brandon Phillips. Omar may have to take on a bit of Castillo's contract but it would be worth it.
- Sign Bedard to a one year incentive based deal for a similar but cheaper deal than the one Penny got.
- Sign Eric Byrnes to a minor league deal if he'll take it.
- As for C, I would love to trade for Chris Iannetta but I realize how highly unlikely that is. Instead I would be okay with a Santos/Blanco or Thole/Blanco platoon because I don't see Barajas as much of an improvement over Thole/Santos.
This way the Mets get a solid number 2 guy in Harang and an oft-injured number 1/2 in Bedard. They improve their defense by switching Phillips and Castillo. Delgado and Phillips will be enough offense to compensate for Beltran's injury for which Pagan/F-Mart should be able to fill in adequately until Beltran returns. I would hope that the package for Harang/Philips is enough but if not I wouldn't be afraid to throw in someone else. As long as that person isn't Mejia, F-Mart, Davis, Flores, Havens, Niese we really aren't giving up that much for a good pitcher and 2b. Unfortunately I don't really see Omar doing this except for maybe Delgado signing. I'm just worried we may end up with Garland in our rotation next year.