This post is inspired by a Keith Law tweet from last week:
Watching take infield practice is like baseball porn
I'd like to propose a corollary of baseball porn -- sabermetric porn. This is player performance that makes a true SABR say "Wow, that's some hot sh**!." I can't easily define it, but I know it when I see it.'s 14-strikeout shutout against the in the NLDS? Saber porn. 's 8-walk no hitter against the in June? Not saber porn. This concept won't diminish the "nerds in their mother's basement" perception of statheads, but just go with it.
I came up with several nominees for sabermetric porn of the year. Only regular season stats are considered. Cast your vote in the poll below.
- Daric Barton's MLB best (for qualifying hitters) 16.0% walk rate and 15.5% O-Swing %. The plate discipline champion.
- Jose Bautista's .357 Isolated Power (Iso). Next best was at .294. Bautista might be my selection for AL MVP.
- Michael Bourn's +13.0 EqBBR. That means he was worth 13 more runs on the basepaths than an average baserunner. Second place was
- Brett Gardner's +39.7 UZR/150. His raw UZR was +22.3. Second place was
at +21.2 UZR/150.
- Tim Hudson's 64.1% groundball rate. Next best was at 60.3%.
- Cliff Lee's 10.28 K/BB ratio. That's 18 walks in 218.2 innings. It took 26 innings for to reach walk #18 this season.
- Carlos Marmol's 15.99 K/9. That's nearly two strikeouts per inning pitched.
- , for having a "down" season and still posting the 3rd best fWAR in all of baseball.
- , for having the highest fWAR of any position player with positive numbers in all four fWAR components.
Vote on the Moneyballs Award For Sabermetric Porn Of The Year
Daric Barton's plate discipline (21 votes)
Jose Bautista's power (46 votes)
Michael Bourn's baserunning (7 votes)
Brett Gardner's defense (18 votes)
Tim Hudson's groundballs (3 votes)
Cliff Lee's command of the strike zone (198 votes)
Carlos Marmol's strikeouts (34 votes)
Albert Pujols (19 votes)
Ryan Zimmerman's WAR achievement (25 votes)
371 total votes