- Roy Oswalt: a great SP who is turning 33 this summer and is owed $15M this season, $16M next with a $16M option for 2012. He is having a fantastic year so far with a 3.44 xFIP and the highest K/9 (8.65) since his rookie year. He would likely cost a boatload of prospects although taking on most if not all of the contract will likely reduce the cost of prospects. A friend recently told reporters that he would accept a trade to the Mets.
- Wandy Rodriguez: a talented 31 year old who is having a down year assisted by a high BABIP (4.48 xFIP with lower K/9 and higher BB/9) after his 4.0 WAR year last year. He could be a good buy low candidate.
- Matt Lindstrom: 30 year old former Met who is currently closing for the Astros and doing a decent job with a 3.72 xFIP. He is talented, fairly young, and has experience closing.
- Brett Myers: a talented 30 year old wife beater. He is having a good year (3.86 xFIP) and is only under contract for the rest of the year although I would not want him on the Mets as I really support a wife beating former Phillie.
- Lance Berkman: a 34 year old 1B/OF who has a $15M option for next year. He is having a down year but had two good previous years (162 and 140 wRC+ in '08 and '09).
I would try trading for Lindstrom and either Oswalt or Wandy depending on the cost. In the unlikely scenario they were willing to accept a package of anyone outside of Wright/Reyes/Pelf/Davis/Niese/F!/Mejia/Flores for Oswalt/Lindstrom because of the amount of $ on Oswalt's contract I would make the trade. Oswalt (or Wandy) and Lindstrom would allow the Mets to move Takahashi (or Dickey) back to the bullpen which would allow the Mets to send Mejia and someone else to the minors.