New York Mets Daily Farm System Report - 4/18
Send all of your questions about the Mets farm system to AAProspectMailbag@gmail.com!
*All results from games played on Sunday, April 17th 2011
AAA - Buffalo Bisons (4-5)_______________________________________
Game One: BUFFALO 1, PAWTUCKET 2 (Box) Resuming Saturday's rain-postponed game in the top of the ninth, the Herd put men on first and third with one out but failed to score thanks to a IF Justin Turner double play. RHP Manny Alvarez managed to push it to extras but in the bottom of the twelfth his rocky start to the season continued as three singles clinched it for the PawSox. Check yesterday's report for the affiliated stats.
Game Two: BUFFALO 6, PAWTUCKET 10 (Box) In true Mets form, the Bisons dropped both ends of their kind-of doubleheader yesterday. RHP Josh Stinson didn't quite fill Dillon Gee's shoes in his first start since reporting from Binghamton, looking far too hittable over four turbulent innings. The Bisons offense is starting to come around -- including multi-hit efforts from Nick Evans and Captain Kirk -- but it wasn't quite enough in this one.
- CF Kirk Nieuwenhuis: 2-4, 2B, R, K; 7-game hit streak and he's reached base in all 11 games so far
- 1B Nick Evans: 2-3, 3 RBI, K; What a difference a day makes
- DH Zach Lutz: 1-3, 2B, RBI, K; 6-game hit streak with 5 doubles in last 6 games
- LF Lucas Duda: 0-5, 2 K
- 3B Justin Turner: 1-3, R
- SS Ruben Tejada: 1-4, RBI, R, 2 E(5), That's five errors in ten games for the typically steady glovesman
- 2B Luis Hernandez: 0-4
- RHP Josh Stinson: L, 4 IP, 6 ER, 6 H, 3 BB, 1 K, 1 HR
- LHP Mike O'Connor: 1.2 IP, 3 ER (1 unearned), 3 H, 3 BB, 0 K, WP; 1/4 against lefties
- RHP Manny Acosta: 1 IP, 0 ER, 0 H, 1 BB, 0 K
AA - Binghamton Mets (3-6)_____________________________________
NEW HAMPSHIRE 1, BINGHAMTON 4 (Box)
- SS Jordany Valdespin: 1-3, HR(1)
- DH Eric Campbell: 0-3, K
- IF Josh Satin: 1-4, HR(1), 2 RBI, R
- C Kai Gronauer: DNP
- LHP Robert Carson: W, 5 IP, 1 ER, 4 H, 4 BB, 4 K, WP, Pickoff; Control was a little shaky but very nice 8-to-1 GB:FB helped
- LHP Roy Merritt: 1 IP, 0 ER, 1 H, 0 BB, 1 K; 0/1 against lefties
Hi-A St. Lucie Mets (10-1)________________________________________
FT MYERS 1, ST LUCIE 4 (Box) RHP Matt Harvey just kept mowing down the opposition yesterday with five more strong innings, though he did allow his first run -- of the unearened variety -- after a walk, a single and a passed ball by catcher Juan Centeno in the first. Either way, Harvey would go on to allow just one more hit and a three-run third by the Mets hitters -- including exra-base hits from 2B Rylan Sandoval and CF Mat den Dekker -- would be more than enough.
- SS Wilmer Flores: 2-4, 2B, R; That's his first XBH of 2011
- RF Cesar Puello: 1-4, R
- CF Matt den Dekker: 1-4, 3B, 2 RBI, R
- 3B Jefry Marte: 1-3, 2B, RBI, K
- LF Juan Lagares: 0-1, RBI
- 2B Rylan Sandoval: 2-3, 2 2B, R
- RHP Matt Harvey: W, 5 IP, 0 ER (1 unearned), 2 H, 2 BB, 3 K; He's allowed just one XBH as a pro
- REHAB ALERT - LF Jason Bay: 0-3; Played seven innings, recorded four put-outs
- REHAB ALERT - DH Ronny Paulino: 0-4, K; 0-for-9 in three rehab games
Lo-A Savannah Sand Gnats (4-5)__________________________________
GREENVILLE 2, SAVANNAH 6 (Box) The Gnats staff won the day in this one on the strength of a couple of excellent pigyyback efforts, one from suddenly interesting lefty Chase Huchingson and the other from hard-throwing RHP Gonzalez Germen.
- 3B Aderlin Rodriguez: DNP; In the midst of a 1-for-27, needed to clear his head
- RF Cory Vaughn: 0-3, RBI, K
- C Albert Cordero: 0-3, K
- 2B Wilfredo Tovar: 1-4, 2B, RBI, K
- DH Robbie Shields: 1-3, RBI, R, BB, SB(5); He's stolen bases in his last four consecutive games
- OF Javier Rodriguez: 0-4, K
- C Blake Forsythe: DNP
- LF Alonzo Harris: 0-5, R, SB(3)
- 1B Sam Honeck: 3-3, HR(1), 2 2B, 3 RBI, R, BB; The soon-to-be 24-yr old isn't much of a prospect, but riding a seven-game hit streak he's having a heck of an April
- LHP Chase Huchingson: 4 IP, 0 ER, 3 H, 1 BB, 7 K, WP; After four more shutout innings this 2010 undrafted FA 6'5" lefty is becoming intriguing
- RHP Gonzalez Germen: W, 5 IP, 2 ER, 8 H, 1 BB, 9 K; Strong piggyback performance, you rarely see eight hits versus nine strikeouts though
★ Star of the Night ★
It seems that everyone else should save their big games for days that Matt Harvey isn't pitching as he's now 3-for-3 garnering this honor thanks to five more very strong innings. I suppose Savannah first baseman Sam Honeck deserves some respect for his big eight total base performance in the Sand Gnats 6-2 victory but Harvey is Harvey.
The Goat of the Night is going to have to go to RHP Manny Alvarez after blowing the postponsed game in the bottom of the tenth. His turbulent start to 2011 is starting to become a little bit worrisome.