New York Mets Daily Farm System Report - 4/23
Send all of your questions about the Mets farm system to AAProspectMailbag@gmail.com!
*All results from games played on Friday, April 22th 2011
AAA - Buffalo Bisons (7-9)_______________________________________
BUFFALO 4, LEHIGH VALLEY 2 (Box) RHP Josh Stinson continued to progress with his best start as a Bison, going five strong innings followed by some solid relief work, including three very nice innings from RHP Jose De La Torre. On the other side, the Herd scored a couple early and then sealed it up with tack on runs in the fourth and the seventh. Also CF Kirk Nieuwenhuis continues to roll, collecting three walks and another hit; there was probably some thought to bring him up instead of Pagan but he really needs to keep playing every day which he likely would not with the Mets. The rehabbing/snakebitten C Ronny Paulino left this one after five with a strained intercostal muscle.
- CF Kirk Nieuwenhuis: 1-2, 2B, 2 R, 3 BB, K; That makes 11 walks vs. 14 strikeouts, plus he's reached base in every game this season and he's riding a 12-game hit streak
- 1B Nick Evans: 2-5, RBI
- 3B Zach Lutz: DNP
- LF Lucas Duda: 0-3, RBI, BB; 2 for his last 19
- SS Ruben Tejada: 2-4, 2B, R, BB
- 2B Luis Hernandez: 2-4, RBI, K, SB(1)
- RHP Josh Stinson: W, 5 IP, 1 ER, 2 H, 1 BB, 2 K; Eight grounders versus two fly balls
- RHP Manny Acosta: 1 IP, 0 ER, 0 H, 2 BB, 1 K
- RHP Jose De La Torre: 3 IP, 1 ER, 2 H, 0 BB, 4 K, WP
- REHAB ALERT - C Ronny Paulino: 2-3, RBI, K; Left after five innings with an intercostal muscle injury...get cozy Nickeas
- INJURY UPDATE - OF Fernando Martinez is reportedly close to making his return from a strained hamstring so that he can hurry up and get hurt in some other way
AA - Binghamton Mets (5-8)_____________________________________
BINGHAMTON 0, NEW HAMPSHIRE 2 (Box) LHP Robert Carson deserved better in this one after he delivered possibly his best start with Binghamton, allowing just six baserunners with eight strikeouts over six innings. However, the punchless B-Mets lineup was completely stifled by Fisher Cats starter Chad Beck who went seven scoreless allowing just four hits. The B-Mets were 0-for-9 with RISP.
- SS Jordany Valdespin: Pinch ran
- LF Eric Campbell: 1-4, 2 K
- 2B Josh Satin: 3-4, 2 2B, K;10 for his last 18 with four doubles an a homer
- C Kai Gronauer: 0-3, BB 2 K, E(1)
- 1B Allan Dykstra: 0-2, 2 BB, K
- LHP Robert Carson: L, 6 IP, 2 ER, 5 H, 0 BB, 8 K, 1 HR, WP, HB
- LHP Eric Niesen: .1 IP, 0 ER, 0 H, 1 BB, 1 K
- INJURY UPDATE - 2B Reese Havens is reportedly making very good strides down in extended spring training, building strength after a long layoff and fielding grounders. He is expected to get back in the cage soon.
Hi-A St. Lucie Mets (14-2)________________________________________
ST. LUCIE 7, CHARLOTTE 2 (Box) So far the best affiliate in the system pushed their record to 14 and 2 with another sterling effort by the best performer in the system, RHP Matt Harvey. The guy is now 4-0 in four starts with 14 hits, eight walks and 27 K's over 22 IP. He's still allowed just one XBH. This is getting unreal and you have to imagine he'll be on his way up at some point in early May. He was followed by three very good innings of relief from long lefty Darin Gorski and on the offensive side a combined 8-for-12 with two doubles from the outfield trio of RF Cesar Puello, LF Pedro Zapata and CF Matt den Dekker and a homer by Aussie first baseman Stefan Welch pretty much sewed this one up. Oh and the fact that it felt like 30 degrees at Citi last night and it 90 degrees at game time in Charlotte angers me.
- SS Wilmer Flores: 0-4, RBI, E(4)
- RF Cesar Puello: 4-4, 2B, 2 R, HBP, SB(3); Suddenly coming on with 7 hits in his last 14 ab's
- CF Matt den Dekker: 1-4, 2B, 2 RBI, BB
- 3B Jefry Marte: 1-5, R, RBI, K
- LF Juan Lagares: 0-3, R, BB
- 2B Rylan Sandoval: 0-4, 2 K; Batting .175 over his last 10 games
- LF Pedro Zapata: 3-4, RBI, R, K; Dude is batting .424 and is probably nearing a call to Bingo with their lack of a true center fielder
- RHP Matt Harvey: W, 6 IP, 0 ER, 4 H, 2 BB, 7 K; As usual just allowed only singles and had a 6:2 GB-to-FB rate
Lo-A Savannah Sand Gnats (7-8)__________________________________
LEXINGTON 6, SAVANNAH 3 (Box) Some dude named Minaya walked seven guys and allowed ten baserunners over five innings for Lexington but the Gnats couldn't convert, going 1-for-11 with RISP. In addition, RHP Gonzalez Germen's very strong five inning performance was wasted by lefty Chase Hutchingson who allowed five runs over the last four innings.
- 3B Aderlin Rodriguez: 0-4, 2 K
- RF Cory Vaughn: 1-3, 2B, RBI 2 BB
- DH Albert Cordero: 1-4, 2B
- 2B Wilfredo Tovar: 2-2, 2B, R, 2 BB; On base in all four trips
- SS Robbie Shields: 1-3, 2 BB, CS(1)
- OF Javier Rodriguez: 0-2, 2 BB, 2 K, PO; I am loving all of these walks
- C Blake Forsythe: 1-4, R 2 K
- RHP Gonzalez Germen: 5 IP, 1 ER, 5 H, 1 BB, 4 K; Nice 6:2 GB-to-FB
- LHP Chase Hutchingson: L, 4 IP, 5 ER, 5 H, 2 BB, 4 K, 1 HR, 2 WP; His first runs allowed of 2011
- INJURY UPDATE - Like FMart, OF Darrell Ceciliani is reportedly close to making his return from a hamstring strain
★ Star of the Night ★