*All results from games played on May 17, 2011
AAA - Buffalo Bisons (17-23)_______________________________________
BUFFALO 1, INDIANAPOLIS 10 (Box) The Bisons' opening day RF, 1B, 2B, SS, and SP are now in Queens, their 3B is hurt, and a preferred OF (Duda) was hurt and is now hurt again. Not a lot for Teufel to work with, at least until Hu and Igarashi come and make it all better. The Herd's only run scored in a hitless sixth inning. Josh Stinson was tossing meatballs.
- CF Kirk Nieuwenhuis: 0-3, BB, 2 K
- 2B Luis Hernandez: 1-2, R, 2 BB, CS(2)
- C Mike Nickeas: 1-3, RBI, E(1)
- RF Bubba Bell: 0-4, K
- RHP Josh Stinson: 4.2, 11 H, 8 ER, 1 BB, 4 K (48 IP, 5.63, 18 BB, 26 K, 2 HR)
- LHP Taylor Tankersley: 2 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
AA - Binghamton Mets (13-22)_____________________________________
BINGHAMTON 1, NEW HAMPSHIRE 7 (Box) Bingo hit the ball thrice, walked six times; Brandon Moore followed a couple of scoreless gems with his second consecutive wretched start.
- 2B Jordany Valdespin: 0-3, BB, K
- 3B Eric Campbell: 0-3, BB, E(7)
- 1B Josh Satin: 1-3, R, BB
- DH Allan Dykstra: 0-3, BB, 2 K
- RHP Brandon Moore: 4 IP, 7 H, 6 ER, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 HR (35.2 IP, 5.05, 41 H, 7 BB, 30 K, 2 HR)
- LHP Eric Niesen: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 4 K
Hi-A St. Lucie Mets (23-14)________________________________________
BREVARD COUNTY 19, ST. LUCIE 9 (Box) Wow. At least there's the excuse that Stoner is
in rehab rehabbing and the Mets lit up the scoreboard themselves. Against the fearsome Manatees, the Mets were 4-7 with RISP and Wilmer knocked his second home run of the year. The game was actually knotted at eight after six innings. But Tobi gave way to a bullpen of Powers and Moria who saw his eight earned and raised him eleven. Reminds me of a punch line to a joke I've forgotten: Oh, the huge Manatee!
- SS Wilmer Flores: 1-5, R, HR(2), 2 RBI
- RF Cesar Puello: 1-4, 2 R, 3B, 2 RBI, BB
- CF Matt den Dekker: 1-4, R, RBI, BB; threw a guy out at 1st as part of a DP, probably saved an additional 7 runs
- 3B Jefry Marte: 3-5, R, 2B
- LF Pedro Zapata: 2-4, R, 2 RBI, K
- RHP Tobi Stoner: 5 IP, 10 H, 8 ER, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 HR; 2 start after coming off the Bisons' DL
Lo-A Savannah Sand Gnats (18-20)__________________________________
SAVANNAH 4, CHARLESTON 9 (Box) And a nice little coda. Note the Ceciliani and Vaughn home runs. Love those guys.
- 3B Aderlin Rodriguez: 0-4, 3 K
- CF Darrell Ceciliani: 1-5, R, HR(3), RBI; homered in two straight
- RF Cory Vaughn:1-3, R, HR(3), 2 RBI, BB, 2 K
- 2B Wilfredo Tovar: 0-4
- SS Robbie Shields: 3-4, R, 2B, SB(7)
- C Blake Forsythe: 0-3, BB
- RHP Ryan Fraser: 5 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 5 BB, 2 HR (36.1 IP, 2.72, 12 BB, 16 K, 2 HR)
★ Star of the Night ★
Savannah short stop Robbie Shields gets the nod for a three hit night with a stolen base. The Mets' 3rd round pick in '09 is off to a very strong start (.280/.370/.472, 7 steals, 2 homers), raising his stock considerably after a poor Brooklyn debut and a 2010 season interrupted by Tommy John surgery. With seven errors he's been a bit wobbly at short, but scouts have long seen second base in his future. If he plays to his early-pick potential (big if), he'll have plenty of bat for it.