*All results from games played on Wednesday, May 16th, 2012
AAA - Buffalo Bisons (23-17)_______________________________________
GWINNETT 7, BUFFALO 14 (Box)
Jair Jurrjens speaks Dutch, English, Spanish, and Papiamentu. But there really are no words. In the first inning, the 2011 All Star served up a couple of two-out hits before 3B Matt Tuiasosopo flew a ball clear over the left fielder Felix Pie. "Matt ran hard of the box," Wally Bachman observed, proving a 3-run inside-the-park homer depends on the little things. And it went on like this. Former-former-Met Brad Emaus pounded a traditional four-bagger in the very next at bat. A few innings later, Tuiasosopo, Emaus, and Pascucci were ducks a-pond to be tripled home. When smoke from the fireworks cleared, Jurrjens sat down to contemplate the ten runs he earned, and old times.
- 2B Brad Emaus: 2-5, 2 R, HR(1), RBI; .240/.321/.360
- C Jean Luc Blaquiere: 3-5, R, 2B, RBI, K; .375/.412/.438
- LF Vinny Rottino: 2-4, 2 R, BB; .314/.371/.441
- 3B Matt Tuiasosopo: 3-5, 2 R, 2B, HR(4, inside the park), 4 RBI; .274/.366/.400
- LHP Garrett Olson: 5 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 4 B, 6 K; 42.2 IP, 3.59, 40 H, 23 BB, 44 K, 3 HR
AA - Binghamton Mets (18-19)_____________________________________
TRENTON 0, BINGHAMTON 1 (Box)
Did you know Collin McHugh writes a blog? One time his pitching coach strolled by mournful Collin and said, "We all have days like this, Mac. Don't beat yourself up about it. Gotta have a short memory. Real Short." Sage advice. We do not, however, all have days of pitching seven shutout innings with six strikeouts and just one walk against pro hitters, Mac. I guess failed little leaguers have gotta have a short memory, too. Real Short.
McHugh was splendid last evening; he's hardly been touched this season and boasts a 2.05 ERA. 17 goose eggs festooned the scoreboard into the bottom of the ninth, with the top of the order due up. And then it happened like baseball was simple. CF Matt Den Dekker doubled to center. 2B Josh Rodriguez singled on a bunt. DH Reese Havens calmly drew a walk. And 3B Jefry Marte, singling, was knocked on his butt by a gang of celebrants.
- LF Juan Lagares: 1-2, 3B, BB; .287/.352/.395
- CF Matt Den Dekker: 1-4, R, 2B; .293/.355/.524
- DH Reese Havens: 0-2, BB, K; .146/.255/.250
- 3B Jefry Marte: 1-4, RBI, E; .305/..362/.398
- 2B Josh Rodriguez: 2-3, BB; .276/.397/.405
- RHP Collin McHugh: 7 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 K; 48.1 IP, 2.05, 38 H, 15 BB, 42 K, 3 HR
- ROSTER NOTE: RHP Jenrry Mejia will join the B-Mets rotation this Saturday.
i-A St. Lucie Mets (31-8)________________________________________
Chris Young's anterior capsule seems to be OK. He was wacked around a bit the young Braves but issued no walks. St. Lucie is an incredibly proficient little baseball team. They are 31-8. Proverbs 31:8 says, "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves; ensure justice for those being crushed," and I assume it's the rest of the Florida State League we're talking about. Wilmer is really hitting, with punch. Puello too. Muno too. CF Rafael Fernandez had his day in the sun (or the night sky?) going 3-4 with two homers across the 14-inning double header. In game two, Erik Goedell flung six innings scorelessly, his flyweight ERA at 1.57.
GAME ONE: BRANDENTON 3, ST. LUCIE 6 (Box)
- RF Cesar Puello: 1-1, R; .292/.344/.451
- 3B Wilmer Flores: 1-2, 2 R, HR(6), RBI, BB; .321/.358/.507
- SS Wilfredo Tovar: 1-3; .297/.362/.407
- RF Cory Vaughn: 0-3: 1-4; .229/.308/.458
- 2B Danny Muno: 1-4; .283/.339/.461
- CF Rafael Fernandez: 2-3, R, 2B, HR(2), 4 RBI, K; 293/.372/.463
- REHAB ALERT: RHP Chris Young: 5.2 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
GAME TWO: BRANDENTON 0, ST. LUCIE 4 (Box)
- 3B Wilmer Flores: 2-4, R, 2B, K; .321/.358/.507
- SS Wilfredo Tovar: 1-2, BB, SB(2); .297/.362/.407
- RF Cory Vaughn: 1-4; .229/.308/.458
- DH Danny Muno: 0-4; .283/.339/.461
- 2B Robbie Shields: 2-2, 2B, HR(3), RBI, BB; .273/.356/.414
- CF Rafael Fernandez: 1-1, R, HR(3), 2 RBI, BB; 293/.372/.463
- RHP Erik Goeddel: 6 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K; 23 IP, 1.57, 18 H, 9 BB, 15 K, 1 HR
Lo-A Savannah Sand Gnats (24-14)__________________________________
SAVANNAH 5, CHARLESTON 14 (Box)
Gotta have a short memory. Real Short.
- CF Travis Taijeron: 0-4, R, K; .282/.395/.542
- 3B Aderlin Rodriguez: 1-4, R, HR(4), 3 RBI; .223/.283/.374
- LHP Alex Panteliodis: 3.1 IP, 7 H, 8 ER, 3 BB, 2 K, 2 HR; 33.2 IP, 2.94, 27 H, 16 BB, 21 K, 2 HR
★ Beaming Star of the Night ★