"So, Matt, are you developed or what?"
*All results from games played on
AAA - Buffalo Bisons (14-12)_______________________________________
SYRACUSE 2, BUFFALO 5 (Box)
Harvey forever! Schwinden never! Such was the mood on twitter, though skipper Terry Collins expects Harvey and Familia to slum it in Buffalo for the majority of the season. And that is probably just as well. Harvey has flashed genius in AAA but hardly mastered the league in a handful of starts. Last night he clocked 94 on the gun and struck out three in four innings, while walking a pair and surrendering two runs. (A 22-minute rain delay forced an early exit.) Though his last start was a beaut, this one was roughly in line with his young season totals – lovely K rate, too many walks, a healthy number of hits, a slightly lumpy ERA, and a luminous future. The right-hander is also proving handy with the bat, following last week’s homer with a 390’ sac fly to straight-away center. In fact, all five Bison runs were batted in by the last part of the order.
2B Bobby Scales: 1-4, K; (.390/.500/.561)
- 3B Zach Lutz: 0-3, R, BB, K; (.319/.420/.522)
- PH Josh Satin: 0-1, RBI; (.259/.278/.376)
- RHP Matt Harvey: 4 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K; (30 IP, 4.80, 31 H, 16 ER, 1 HR, 13 BB, 27 K)
AA - Binghamton Mets (12-13)_____________________________________
BINGHAMTON 1, AKRON 3 (Box)
SP Mark Cohoon has extracted OK results from some pretty dicey pitching this year, but last night earned the L through simple mediocrity. A first inning clown show couldn’t have helped, as an error and a wild pitch chased a man to third before an out or a hit was recorded. He scored. Bingo dropped behind 3-0 on a couple of doubles in the fourth, and in the sixth scored their only runner, CF Matt Den Dekker, who had coaxed a lead-off walk. The Mets actually out hit the Aeros six to five, but in baseball as in comedy, timing is everything.
- LF Juan Lagares: 0-4, K; (.241/.327/.333)
- CF Matt Den Dekker: 0-3, R, BB, 2 K; (.280/.351/.490)
- 3B Jefry Marte: 0-4, K; (.329/.388/.434)
- LHP Mark Cohoon: 5 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 K; (29 IP, 2.48, 26 H, 8 ER, 2 HR, 10 BB, 13 K)
Hi-A St. Lucie Mets (22-4)________________________________________
JUPITER 2, ST. LUCIE 3 (Box)
We would be remiss if we didn’t stop and reflect on this shit. The St. Lucie Mets’ winning percentage is .846. They have won more than five times more often than they’ve lost. Twenty-six games in, they are leading the division by 10 games. If ever the real Mets start this way, I’ll get an impulse tattoo or something. RF Cory Vaughn and the boys established a 3-0 lead by the sixth inning, then settled into toying with their prey. SS Wilfredo Tovar cracked a double – the only extra base hit – but Vaughn and CF Cesar Puello each shined at the plate. SP Erik Goedell left little up to the fielders’ in his five innings of work, striking out five, walking five, and allowing no runs on just one hit.
- RF Cesar Puello: 2-3, RBI; (.293/.354/.413)
- 3B Wilmer Flores: 1-4; (.315/.337/.500)
- SS Wilfredo Tovar: 1-3, R, 2B; (.313/.375/.438)
- RF Cory Vaughn: 2-2, BB; (.295/.386/.568)
- DH Danny Muno: 1-5, RBI; (.290/.360/.460)
- RHP Erik Goeddel: 5 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 5 BB, 5 K; (12 IP, 0.75, 1 ER, 1 HR, 8 BB, 11 K)
Lo-A Savannah Sand Gnats (15-11)__________________________________
DELMARVA1, SAVANNAH 7 (Box)
SP Alex Panteliodis once put together a fairly incredible 19-game winning streak as a Florida Gator. With last night’s win,18 to go. The 235-pound lefty, picked in the ninth round of last year’s draft, is carrying but a scrap of an ERA (0.68) through 26.1 professional innings, fortified by a .161-average against. But lady luck has perhaps tucked away the 11 walks. CF Travis Taijeron thumped a two-run homer last night, incredibly his seventh on the year. In more than twice as many games in Brooklyn, the twenty-three year old hit nine. For the OBP fans in the house, seven-ninths of the lineup took a walk on the road to a leisurely win.
- CF Travis Taijeron: 1-4, 2 R, HR(7), 2 RBI; (.262/.406/.560)
- 3B Aderlin Rodriguez: 1-4, R, 2B, RBI, BB, 2 K; (.204/.274/.379)
- LHP Alex Panteliodis: 6 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 5 K; (26.1 IP, 0.68, 15 H, 2 ER, 0 HR, 11 BB, 16 K)
★ Beaming Star of the Night ★