Darin Gorski, effortlessly matching a patterned tie with a checked shirt.
*All results from games played on Saturday June 9th
AAA - Buffalo Bisons (35-28)_______________________________________
NORFOLK 5, BUFFALO 0 (Box)
Star Wars Night at Coca Cola Field was ruined by someone who was actualy old enough to have driven himself to see The Empire Strikes Back. Jamie Moyer shut out the Bisons for 5 innings, thereby breaking my age relative to league calculator for prospects. Moyer struck out 5 and allowed only 1 hit, outdueling Mets prospect Jenrry Mejia. Mejia struggled with his control, throwing only 37 of his 68 pitches for strikes. He also added a costly throwing error that led to a big 5th inning for the Tides. The Bisons offense couldn't muster anything against Brad Bergesen either, who picked up a four-inning save.
- 1B Josh Satin: 0-2, BB (.271/.359/.376)
- 2B Brad Emaus: 1-4 (.225/.289/.337)
- RHP Jenrry Mejia: L, 4.2 IP, 0 ER, 5 R, 4 H, 2 BB, 2 K, E(1); Bullpen bound?
- RHP Pedro Beato: 2 IP, 0 ER, 0 H, 0 BB, 3 K
AA - Binghamton Mets (29-29)_____________________________________
BINGHAMTON 12, TRENTON 0 (Box)
Haven't seen this much of a laugher in New Jersey since the last Andrew 'Dice' Clay tour. The B-Mets launched four home runs while Darin Gorski delivered one of his best starts of the year, shutting out the Thunder over 8 innings and 105 pitches. It was Sean Rodriguez's turn to go 5-5 last night, while Matt den Dekker had to settle for a 2-5 evening with a couple of rib-eye steaks. Not all good news, though, as Jefry Marte left midway through the game. No injury report as of yet.
- LF Juan Lagares: 0-4, BB (.267/.319/.352)
- CF Matt Den Dekker: 2-5, R, 2 RBI, K, SB (10) (.338/.395/.560); Forcing his way up to Buffalo at this point.
- 3B Jefry Marte: 0-3, 2 K (.296/.362/.439)
- 2B Reese Havens: 2-6, HR (3), 2 R, RBI, 2 K, E (4) (.173/.313/.300)
- LHP Darin Gorski: W, 8 IP, 0 ER, 7 H, 0 BB, 3 K (4-3, 3.97, 59 IP, 52 H, 47 K, 26 BB, 5 HR); Got a report he was told to work more on his offspeed stuff this year, which might explain the recent control issues.
Hi-A St. Lucie Mets (46-15)________________________________________
PORT CHARLOTTE 6, ST. LUCIE 4 (Box)
I still feel like I need to double check the boxscore every time I see a St. Lucie loss. This one is for real, though, as the Stone Crabs touched up starter Cory Mazzoni for 4 runs in 5 1/3. Mazzoni continues to have an up and down season at St. Lucie and is not missing as many bats at Advanced A as you would expect from a pitcher with his stuff. The Mets' bats tried to claw their way back, as Wilfredo Tovar continues to thrive from his move up the line-up card, but Port Charlotte tacked on a couple runs off reliever John Church to put this one just out of reach.
- 3B Wilmer Flores: 0-4, RBI (.307/.350/.495); Bats quieted down a bit this week, just 3 for his last 24
- SS Wilfredo Tovar: 2-4, 2B, 3B, R (.286/.367/.391)
- RF Cory Vaughn: 1-4, 3B, K (.236/.329/.452)
- DH Blake Forsythe: 0-4, 2 K (.264/.366/.464)
- 2B Robbie Shields: 1-3, RBI, SF (.244/.326/.351)
- RHP Cory Mazzoni: L, 5.1 IP, 3 ER, 4 R, 7 H, 1 BB, 4 K (5-1, 3.25, 63.2 IP, 64 H, 48 K, 16 BB, 3 HR)
Lo-A Savannah Sand Gnats (35-26)__________________________________
CHARLESTON 8, SAVANNAH 7 (Box)
Tough loss for the Sand Gnats, as Charleston rallied for three in the bottom of the ninth to walk-off against Savannah's all-star closer, T.J. Chism. The Gnats got to Charleston starter William Oliver early and often, chasing sending him to the showers in the fifth inning. Savanah's starter, Alex Panteliodis, struggled as well, immediately coughing up a 4-run lead in the bottom of the fourth. Camden Maron and Gilbert Gomez led the offense for the Gnats with three hits each. That makes two straight losses to the A-ball Yanks, and the two teams wrap up their three game series this evening.
- C Cam Maron: 3-6, 2B, 3B, 2 RBI, 3 K (.273/.360/.373); That is quite the stat line
- 3B Aderlin Rodriguez: 1-4, R, BB, K (.256/.332/.466)
- CF Travis Taijeron: 2-5, R, K SB (4) (.289/.392/.540); Another guy who will probably be promoted after the all-star break.
- DH Gilbert Gomez: 3-5, 2 RBI, SB (2) (.310/.396/.357)
- LHP Alex Panteliodis: 5.1 IP, 5 ER, 10 H, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 HR (3-4, 4.04, 49 IP, 57 H, 28 K, 24 BB, 3 HR)
★ Star of the Night ★