*All results from games played on Thursday, June 21st, 2012.
AAA - Buffalo Bisons (38-36)_______________________________________
BUFFALO 3, NORFOLK 5 (Box)
Tonight was not Familia's night as he had arguably his worst start of the season, allowing five runs before he was yanked in the third. Basically he was all over the place in this one. He only managed to get ahead of five of the 16 batters he faced and that's nothing new. Lack of command not only described his night but his season thus far. He had a similarly bad walk rate back in 2010 when he first began throwing the change; we can only hope that this season's struggles have a similar cause. On the offensive side 2-for-13 with RISP rarely gets the job done.
- CF Matt den Dekker: 0-4, 2 K
- 1B Josh Satin: 1-3, R, BB
- C Rob Johnson: 1-4, 2B, K
- DH Corey Wimberly: 2-5, RBI, K; Former Rox prospect batting .310 with a nearly 1:1 BB-to-K and seven stolen bases in 32 games, and can play pretty much all over the field...decent bench fodder
- RHP Jeurys Familia: L, 2.2 IP, 5 ER, 6 H, 3 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 HB, 1 Balk; Rough night brings his ERA to an even 5
- RHP Manny Acosta: 2 IP, 0 ER, 0 H, 0 BB, 0 K
REHAB ALERT: SS Ruben Tejada: 1-4, 2B, RBI, K; Not a good sign for the Bisons current active roster that Ruben was the youngest player in the lineup in this one...by over two years
REHAB ALERT: 2B Ronny Cedeno: 0-4, 3 K
AA - Binghamton Mets (33-37)_____________________________________
BINGHAMTON 4 , AKRON 2 (Box)
With a recent injection of talent the B-Mets starting lineup is actually starting to look pretty good. Wilmer Flores wasn't bad in his Double-A debut, notching a nice RBI single. And Francisco Pena was even better, knocking a home run in his first Double-A at bat. On the other side, Gonzalez Germen walked the tightrope a bit in this one but survived by stranding a boatload. Three innings of scoreless relief from Ryan Fraser and Robert Carson sealed the deal.
- 3B Wilmer Flores: 1-4, RBI, K
- CF Juan Lagares:0-4, R, BB, K
- SS Wilfredo Tovar: 0-3
- DH Jefry Marte: 0-4, K; Marte began the nightly musical chairs in the DH spot...Campbell, Havens and Flores are on notice
- 2B Reese Havens: 0-2, R, 2 BB, K
- 1B Eric Campbell: 3-3, 2 2B, 2 RBI, R, HBP
- C Francisco Pena: 2-3, HR(1), BB, K; Remember when I said we'd see if that burgeoning power was for real? So far so good
- RHP Gonzalez Germen: W, 6 IP, 1 ER (1 unearned), 7 H, 2 BB, 6 K, 1 WP
- RHP Ryan Fraser: 2 IP, 0 ER, 0 H, 1 BB, 3 K
- LHP Robert Carson: 1 IP, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP
Hi-A St. Lucie Mets (0-1 | 2nd Half)________________________________________
FORT MYERS 9, ST. LUCIE 5 (Box)
Tough to win when your opponent hangs a five spot in the top of the first. Starter Yohan Almonte clearly didn't have it tonight. The lineup fought back though, bolstered by big days from sluggers Vaughn and Dykstra. However, the shoddy pitching staff gave it right back with a rough night from Kyle Allen as well.
- RF Cory Vaughn: 2-5, HR(13), 2 RBI, R; Average stands at .226
- LF Travis Taijeron: 0-4, 2 K
- DH Allan Dykstra: 3-4, 2B, R, BB, K
- 3B Robbie Shields: 2-3, 2B, 2 RBI, R, BB, K, E(5)
- RHP Yohan Almonte: L, 2.1 IP, 6 ER, (1 unearned), 7 H, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP
- 3B Aderlin Rodriguez: 2-5, 2B, RBI, 2 R, E(13)
- DH Camden Maron: 1-5, 2B, RBI, R, 2 K
- C Albert Cordero: 1-4, R, 2 K, 2 E(6); Both of the throwing variety, he did nab a third runner though
- CF Gilbert Gomez: 2-4, 2B, RBI, 2 R
- 1B Brian Harrison: 2-4, RBI, R, BB
- RHP Logan Verrett: L, 5 IP, 1 ER (3 unearned), 6 H, 1 BB, 6 K, 2 WP
- CF Brandon Nimmo: 1-4, BB, K
- SS Philip Evans: 2-3, HR(1), BB, K, HBP
- C Kevin Plawecki: 1-4, K, 2 PB (3)
- 1B Cole Frenzel: 2-4
- RF Eudy Pina: 1-3, 3B, BB, K, SB(1), CS(1); Stole second, caught stealing third
- 2B Juan Carlos Gamboa: 0-4, K, E(2); JCG starting the season off tough
- RHP Hansel Robles: L, 5 IP, 1 ER, 4 H, 1 BB, 7 K; 0 fly outs
Lo-A Savannah Sand Gnats (0-1 | 2nd Half)__________________________________
AUGUSTA 9, SAVANNAH 8
Every starter had at least one hit in this one but it's tough to overcome four errors, especially when most result in runs. Logan Verrett takes a tough 'L' in this one, though we can't feel too bad as both his wild pitches allowed runners to score.
Short Season-A Brooklyn Cyclones (2-1)__________________________________
STATEN ISLAND 8, BROOKLYN 1 (Box)
That's a tough loss for starter Hansel Robles who probably pitched the best game of the night throughout the system. Always rough when the first two guys out of the pen surrender six runs...especially when one of them is named Ruff. Lineup was equally ruff, going 0-for-9 with RISP, stranding 11 men. Kudos to Phil Evans though on his first professional homer.
Rookie-Level Kingsport Mets (0-3)__________________________________
KINGSPORT 2, PRINCETON 15 (Box)
Not a ton to say here.
★ Star of the Night ★
Because his team let him down somewhat, let's give Cyclones starter Hansel Robles a pat on the back after taking a hard-luck loss.
Goat of the Night
Lots of options. 0-for-4, 3 K seemed to be a popular line yesterday. Lots of errors too. But we're going to go with Jeurys Familia; he may not have been the worst but we hold him to a higher standard after all.