*All results from games played on Saturday July 15th
AAA - Buffalo Bisons (49-46)_______________________________________
PAWTUCKET 5, BUFFALO 4 (Box)
It took 14 innings, but Pawtucket finally triumphed over the Herd. Collin McHugh pitched a solid six innings, and the Buffalo bullpen kept the team in the game. The offense didn’t do much against Pawtucket starter Brandon Duckworth and the PawSox’s bullpen, so extra innings it was. In the 14th, Dylan Owen came in and gave up a walk-off home run to Nate Spears, ending the game. Andy LaRoche- yes, that Andy LaRoche- ended up with the win for the Pawsox. Of note, Mark Prior- yes, that Mark Prior- pitched two scoreless innings, walking three and striking out two.
- CF Matt Den Dekker: 1-7, 3 K; A double for den Dekker, but an otherwise bad day at the plate.
- 1B: Adam Loewen 2-7, HR (6), 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 K
- DH Valentino Pascucci: 2-7, HR (14), 1 R, 2 RBI, 2 K
- RHP Collin McHugh: 6 IP, 3 ER, 8 H, 2 BB, 6 SO; A very solid if unspectacular start by the very solid if unspectacular McHugh
- RHP Manny Acosta: 2 IP, 0 ER, 2 H, 1 K; Lowered his AAA ERA to 1.59
- RHP Dylan Owen: 1 IP, 1 ER, 1 H, 1 HR
REHAB ALERT: Jason Bay played LF and went 2-4 with a walk and a stolen base.
AA - Binghamton Mets (45-48)_____________________________________
BINGHAMTON 13, ERIE 3 (Box)
Binghamton scored six runs in the first, knocking out SeaWolves pitcher Kelvin De La Cruz in the first inning, and didn’t ever look back in a 13 to 3 schlubbing. With the exception of DH Reese Havens, everyone was part of the hit parade, with most players notching multiple hits for the day.
- CF Juan Lagares: 2-5, 2 RBI, 1 K
- RF Dustin Martin: 2-5, 2 3B, 2 R, 4 RBI
- DH Reese Havens: 0-4, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 2 K
- 1B Allan Dykstra: 4-4, 3 R, 1 BB
- 2B Wilmer Flores: 2-5, 2 R, 2 RBI, HR (3)
- RHP Gonzalez Germen: 8 IP, 3 ER, 5 H, 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR
Hi-A - St. Lucie Mets (12-13 // 60-32)________________________________________
ST. LUCIE 7, BREVARD COUNTY 3 (Box)
Manatees pitcher Andy Moye wasn’t able to contain the St. Lucie Mets, surrendering 6 earned runs to them over 4.1 innings. St. Lucie had their chances against the Manatees bullpen, but were not able to cash after the 5th inning. Luckily, Tyler Pill kept them at bay for seven strong innings, and the bullpen was able to successfully close things out, despite giving up two unearned runs in the 9th.
- RF Cory Vaughn: 2-4, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB
- 3B Aderlin Rodriguez: 0-5, 2 K; Rough night for Aderlin at the plate, as well as on the field with his 3rd error.
- LF Travis Taijeron: 1-3, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K
- 2B Danny Muno: 1-2, 1 R, 2 BB
- RHP Tyler Pill: 7 IP, 1 ER, 4 H, 2 BB, 7 K, 1 HR
REHAB ALERT: Mike Baxter played DH and went 2-4 with a two RBI
Lo-A - Savannah Sand Gnats (9-15 // 50-41)__________________________________
LAKEWOOD 6, SAVANNAH 3 (Box)
Savannah and Lakewood played a back-and-forth game for most of the night, but ultimately lost when Chasen Bradford gave up 3 ER on four hits in the bottom of the 8th. Domingo Tapia started for the Sand Gnats, going 4.1 innings and, at times, touching 98 MPH on the radar gun. Savannah’s bullpen kept Lakewood off the scoreboard until the 8th, but the BlueClaws’ pen was able to keep pace.
- DH Cam Maron: 1-4, 2B, RBI, BB
- C Albert Cordero: 0-1, 1 RBI, 1 BB
- CF Gilbert Gomez: 0-4, R, BB, 3 K, SB(5)
- SS Matt Reynolds: 0-4, R, BB
- 3B Dustin Lawley: 3-4, 2B, 2 R, , CS(4)
- RHP Domingo Tapia: 4.1 IP, 3 ER, 7 H, 1 BB, 3 K; His command was a little shakier than his line ultimately suggests, but he pitched well enough.
- RPH Chasen Bradford: 1 IP, 3 ER, 4 H
Short Season A - Brooklyn Cyclones (17-10)__________________________________
BROOKLYN 3, STATE COLLEGE 2 (Box)
Rain delayed the game for a while, but two teams got to play in the end and the ‘Clones picked up the victory over the Spikes. Luis Cessa gave up two runs over six innings, and Matthew Bowman picked him up, blanking State College for the last three, picking up the save.
- CF Brandon Nimmo: 2-4, 1 R
- SS Philip Evans: 0-4
- 1B Jayce Boyd: 0-4, BB
- C Kevin Plawecki: 1-4
- DH Alexander Sanchez: 3-4 RBI
- RHP Luis Cessa: 6 IP, 2 ER, 6 H, 1 BB
Appalachian League (R) - Kingsport Mets (4-17)__________________________________
JOHNSON CITY, KINGSPORT
Rained out; Rescheduled for a second game on Monday, July 16th.
Star of the Night
At the end of the day, I think the Star of the Night belongs to Dustin Martin. A singular triple is generally a nice accomplishment, but Martin wasn’t satisfied with just one, so he hit a second one. The four RBI and two runs scored are icing on the cake.
Goat of the Night
On any other night, Aderlin Rodriguez might have gotten the "honor", with his performance on the day, but I’ll give it to Dylan Owen, who gave up a home run in the 14th inning and lost the game for Buffalo.