*All results from games played on
AAA - Buffalo Bisons (61-66)_______________________________________
BUFFALO 4, LEHIGH VALLEY 2 (Box)
Cool thing I did not know until I started this write-up: Scott Elarton is still pitching somewhere. Despite not playing in the majors since 2008, the 36 year old, former Astro, Indian, Royal and Rockies pitcher is still toeing the rubber once every five days for the Iron Pigs. He didn't make it out of the fifth last night though, as the Bisons touched him up for three runs and rode a solid Jenrry Mejia start to victory. Lucas Duda, Adam Loewen and Matt den Dekker all had multi-hit games for Buffalo.
- CF Matt Den Dekker: 2-4, 2 RBI, K
- 3B Zach Lutz: 1-2, BB, R, HBP; Lutz is still an HBP magnet I see.
- 2B Josh Satin: 1-2, 2 BB, K
- LF Lucas Duda: 2-4, HR (3), R, RBI, K
- RHP Jenrry Mejia: W, 6 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K; I think we are officially at the point where we can start worrying about Mejia's K rate.
AA - Binghamton Mets (60-65)_____________________________________
RICHMOND 10, BINGHAMTON 3 (Box)
The B-Mets entered the eighth inning nursing a 3-2 lead behind a strong outing from Mark Cohoon, but Cohoon would get chased in the eighth after allowing a one out single, followed by a walk. Then the Bingo pen does what the Bingo pen does. Four in the eighth and four in the ninth and a close game quickly became a laugher.
- CF Juan Lagares: 0-5, K
- 3B Jefry Marte: 1-4, K
- 1B Allan Dykstra: 0-3, B, 2 K
- 2B Wilmer Flores: 1-4
- C Juan Centeno: 2-4
- LHP Mark Cohoon: L, 7.1 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 4 K, WP, HBP, PO
Hi-A - St. Lucie Mets (28-25 // 77-44)________________________________________
PORT CHARLOTTE 6, ST. LUCIE 5 (Box)
A tough loss in Port Charlotte knocked St. Lucie back down into a tie for the division lead. Like Bingo, the bullpen was to blame, as Jack Leathersich put four runners on base in the seventh inning, and all of them came around to score. St. Lucie could not find an equalizer in the the eighth or ninth and a solid start from Logan Verrett was wasted.
- RF Cesar Puello: 0-3, R, 2 K; 52 K against 5 BB for those keeping score at home.
- DH Cory Vaughn: 1-4, 2B, R, 2 RBI, K
- LF Travis Taijeron: 0-4, 2 K; Taijeron hasn't been all that much better than Puello with 46 K against 15 BB during his stint in the Florida State League.
- 2B Danny Muno: 0-2, R, 2 BB, 2 K; Two true outcomes!
- RHP Logan Verrett: 6 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 2 HR,
- RHP Taylor Whitenton: 0.2 IP 2 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
- LHP Jack Leathersich: L, 0.1 IP, 2 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 0 K; And yet he somehow still gets credit for a hold. Such a useless stat.
Lo-A - Savannah Sand Gnats (65-55)__________________________________
HICKORY 6, SAVANNAH 0 (Box)
Not much to say about this one. Savannah managed just four hits with Cam Maron and Gilbert Gomez on the bench, while Jim Fuller put up the most surprising double digit strike-out performance in the system this year. What is is with all these finesse lefties suddenly missing bats? Oh, and #TheLegend went 0-3, in case you were wondering.
- C Albert Cordero: 0-3
- SS Matthew Reynolds: 2-4
- LHP Carlos Vasquez: 1.1 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
- CF Brandon Nimmo: 3-6, 2 R, HR (4), 6 RBI, 2 K, E (1); Star of the Night? Star of the Night.
- SS Philip Evans: 1-3, 2B, 2 R, RBI, 2 BB, HBP
- DH Kevin Plawecki: 0-5, R, RBI, 2 K; Despite the multi-K game, still sitting on more walks than strikeouts.
- RHP Gabriel Ynoa: W, 5 IP, 8 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 5 K
Short Season A - Brooklyn Cyclones (-)__________________________________
BROOKLYN 12, TRI-CITY 4 (Box)
This one looked like it might get interesting after the Valley Cats scored three in the bottom of the eighth to cut a 6-1 deficit to 6-4, but the Cyclones exploded in the top of the ninth, capped off by a grand slam from Brandon Nimmo. Now it just looks like a laugher.
Appalachian League (R) - Kingsport Mets (18-35)__________________________________
ELIZABETHTON 5, KINGSPORT 1 (Box)
"And Sometimes the Bear Gets You"
- The 2012 Kingsport Mets
Star of the Night
To paraphrase friend of the site, Craig Glaser: "RBI are a stupid stat, Brandon Nimmo RBI are the best stat."
Goat of the Night
Jack Leathersich's team is in another pennant race, bad time to get blown up like that.