Clearly Collin McHugh isn't just a second deck player.
*All results from games played on Saturday, August 18th.
AAA - Buffalo Bisons (62-66)_______________________________________
BUFFALO 2, PAWTUCKET 0 (Box)
Collin McHugh likes pitching in Boston. Making a return trip to the Futures at Fenway game, McHugh baffled the PawSox for seven innings. Thankfully, he wasn't the PTBNL in the Shoppach deal, but I bet Boston is kicking themselves for not asking for him. Not much from the Bisons offense, but a solo shot from Josh Rodriguez and an RBI groundout from Brad Emaus were more than enough to power the Bisons to victory.
- CF Matt Den Dekker: 1-4, K
- 1B Zach Lutz: 1-3, 2B, BB, K
- DH Josh Satin: 0-2, R, 2 BB, CS; Hoping that was a busted hit-and-run and they aren't sending Satin out there on straight steals.
- LF Lucas Duda: 1-4
- RHP Collin McHugh: W, 7 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K; Probably deserving of a look in September, though it seems like that opportunity is going to go to Jenrry Mejia.
- LHP Robert Carson: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
AA - Binghamton Mets (60-66)_____________________________________
RICHMOND 4, BINGHAMTON 0 (Box)
Flying Squirrels starter Chris Heston shut down the B-Mets, while Cory Mazzoni did not quite shut down the Flying Squirrels. There's a lot of 0fers below you guys, so avert your eyes.
- CF Juan Lagares: 0-3, BB, K
- 2B/DH Reese Havens: 0-3, BB, 3 K
- 3B Wilmer Flores: 0-4
- SS Wilfredo Tovar: 0-3
- C Francisco Pena: 0-3; I told you it was a lot of 0fers.
- RHP Cory Mazzoni: L, 7 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 7 K, 1 HR, WP; I have no idea what to do with Mazzoni. He's been *okay* at AA, but reports are the FB velocity is down into the lower 90s and he's not missing bats.
- RHP Armando Rodriguez: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
Hi-A - St. Lucie Mets (77-45)________________________________________
PORT CHARLOTTE 9, ST. LUCIE 8 (Box)
After Jacob Degrom's outing was cut short by a rain delay, it was up to the St. Lucie pen to hold down a 5-1 lead. They blew that one, as well as an 8-7 lead in the ninth, handing the Jupiter Hammerheads sole posession of first place in the process. On the plus side, Alonzo Harris continues to hit, smashing his eighth home run of the season and scoring three times.
- RF Cesar Puello: 1-4, R, K
- DH Cory Vaughn: 1-4, R
- LF Travis Taijeron: 0-3, R, BB, 2 K, SB (2); Mothers, don't let your kids grow up to be late round college picks that mash in the South Atlantic League.
- 2B Danny Muno: 2-4, RBI, BB, K
- 3B Aderlin Rodriguez: 0-3, R, BB, K
- RHP Jacob DeGrom: 3 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
- LHP Adam Kolarek: 1 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
Lo-A - Savannah Sand Gnats (24-30 // 65-56)__________________________________
HICKORY 12, SAVANNAH 5 (Box)
Savannah got their doors blown off by Hickory for the second straight night. If you want to know why, it might have something to do with the number of prospects whose stats are listed below. And I had to add Lawley to the list. He's a stretch.
- CF Brandon Nimmo: 0-4, 2 K
- SS Philip Evans: 1-4, K
- C Kevin Plawecki: 0-3, BB, 2 K
- 2B Juan Carlos Gamboa: 2-4, R
- RHP Luis Mateo: L, 5 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 K
Short Season A - Brooklyn Cyclones (35-23)__________________________________
VERMONT 4, BROOKLYN 1 (Box)
The Cyclones ruined Steve Schmidt's night out with a rather lethargic performance from the Brooklyn bats. Luis Mateo was just okay on the bump, and he has 'struggled' to a 5.06 ERA in August. (He also ha a 23:1 K:BB ratio for what it is worth).
Appalachian League (R) - Kingsport Mets (19-35)__________________________________
KINGSPORT 8, ELIZABETHTON 4 (Box)
Normally I don't have much to say about the Appalachian League games, but I would like to point out that Akeel Morris has a 14:3 K:BB ratio in his last 8 innings of work. Yeah I know, but it's at least a little encouraging.
Star of the Night
Collin McHugh likes pitching in those big stadiums I guess. Hope that translates to Citi Field.
Goat of the Night
The St. Lucie bullpen. Woof.