"I hear words like 'beauty' and 'handsomness' and 'incredibly chiseled features' and for me that's like a vanity of self absorption that I try to steer clear of. "
The Cyclones jumped out to a 1-0 series lead in their best-of-3 with the Renegades behind a superlative pitching performance from starter Hansel Robles. Robles pitched a complete game shutout, striking out ten, and has not allowed an earned run in his last 46 innings. Brooklyn jumped on Hudson Valley starter Jesse Hahn early, scoring one run in the first and three in the second. The Cyclones would only manage four hits from the third inning on, but by that point Robles had all the support he would need. The 22-year-old Dominican right-hander was announced as the Sterling Award winner out of Brooklyn earlier this week and he more than lived up to the billing at MCU Park last night. Robles now has a sub-1.00 ERA for the year, having allowed just nine earned runs in his 81 2/3 innings of work. He has struck out 76 while walking just 10. The series now shifts to Dutchess Stadium with Luis Mateo set to take the mound for Brooklyn in an attempt to close out the series. Hudson Valley ace and Rays' top prospect Taylor Guerrieri looms in Game 3 so the Cyclones would do well to close things out tonight
BROOKLYN 4, HUDSON VALLEY 0 (Brooklyn leads 1-0) (Box)
- CF Brandon Nimmo: 1-4, R, BB, HBP
- SS Phillip Evans: 2-4, RBI; After grounding into a double play with runners on first and second and no out in the first, Evans made amends with an RBI single in the second. He was one of three Cyclones with multi-hit games.
- C Kevin Plawecki: 0-4, 2 K; Jonathan Mayo ranked Plawecki 17th in the Mets system on his sort-of updated Mets prospect list. That's the general range of where I'd have him, though I've seen him pop-up a lot of hittable pitches this summer. Reserving judgment until we see how he does in his first full pro season in 2013, which will likely start in St. Lucie.
- LF Stefan Sabol: 2-4, 2B, R, K
- 2B Juan Carlos Gamboa: 2-3, R
- RHP Hansel Robles: W, 9 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 10 K, HBP; I'm just about out of Zoolander quotes, so I'll just tip my cap here.