*All results from games played on Monday, May 13, 2013
AAA - Las Vegas 51's (18-18)_______________________________________
ALBUQUERQUE 5, LAS VEGAS 2 (Box)
After Carlos Torres authored his best start of the season (6 IP, 1 ER, 3 H, 1 BB, 3 K), Dylan Owen promptly allowed three straight baserunners -- not counting the out he was given on a sacrifice bunt -- and after a pitching change Justin Hampson couldn't pick him up. Hampson walked in the second run then allowed a double followed by a single to blow this one open.
- 2B Wilmer Flores: 0-4, BB
- CF Kirk Nieuwenhuis: 0-0, HBP; Left this one after getting popped pretty squarely in the right knee by Isotopes journeyman starter Matt Palmer to lead off the game
- LF Zach Lutz: 1-4, HR(4), RBI, R; Warming up, posting an .881 OPS over his last ten games
- 1B Josh Satin: 1-4, 2B, BB, K
- C Juan Centeno: 0-3, BB; Still batting .297 in 12 games since being called up in d'Arnaud's stead
- RHP Gonzalez Germen: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 K, 0 BB
- RHP Armando Rodriguez: IP, 0 H, 0 K, 0 BB
AA - Binghamton Mets (20-18)_____________________________________
BINGHAMTON 5, AKRON 2 (Box)
Rafael Montero was a little shaky out of the gates, allowing a run in the first and then the third innings based on a pair of single-double combos. He righted the ship, however, and cruised along for three more scoreless frames, followed by sterling relief from Chase Huchingson and B-Mets closer Jeffrey Walters. Sprinkle in big days from Binghamton outfielders Cesar Puello and Cory Vaughn and that was more than enough for the club's 20th win.
- SS Wilfredo Tovar: 1-3
- 2B Danny Muno: 3-4, 2 R, CS(4)
- LF Cory Vaughn: 2-4, 2B, K, 2 RBI, SB(5)
- RF Cesar Puello: 2-4, HR(5), K, RBI, R
- CF Alonzo Harris: 1-3, BB, K, R, CS(4); Still batting leadoff despite the .285 OBP
- RHP Rafael Montero: 6 IP, 8 H, 2 ER, 6 K, 0 BB; Threw 66 of 98 pitches for strikes (67%)
- LHP Chase Huchingson: 2 IP, 0 ER, 2 H, 1 BB, 1 K
- RHP Jeff Walters: IP, 0 H, 0 ER, BB, K,
Thanks to a late charge by the Manatees -- scoring four times off of Mets reliever Chasen Bradford in the 7th -- St. Lucie gave this one away, despite strong work from their power bats. Dustin Lawley and Travis Taijeron both hit longballs off of Brewers 2011 first rounder Jed Bradley. Meanwhile, third baseman Aderlin Rodriguez continues to heat up, contributing a pair of hits and an RBI.
- 1B Aderlin Rodriguez: 2-5, RBI
- SS Matt Reynolds: 0-4, BB, K, R
- CF Gilbert Gomez: 0-4, 2 K
- C Cam Maron: 0-4, BB, 3 K
- 1B Rylan Sandoval: 3-5, CS(2)
- RF Travis Taijeron: 2-3, HR(4), 2B, 2 BB, RBI, R
- LF Dustin Lawley: 2-5, 3B, HR(8), 3 RBI
- RHP Hansel Robles: 4 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 5 K, 4 BB
Lo-A - Savannah Sand Gnats (21-14)__________________________________
CHARLESTON 5, SAVANNAH 3 (Box)
Despite jumping ahead early in this one, Gnats starter Luis Cessa allowed the RiverDogs back into the game by surrendering a pair of home runs. Savannah reliever Julian Hilario continued the trend, allowing a bomb of his own, and the quiet Gnats offense -- saddled with an 0-for-9 day from offensive standouts Jayce Boyd and Kevin Plawecki -- couldn't compensate.
- C Kevin Plawecki: 0-4, BB, K, R
- SS Phillip Evans: 0-3, BB
- 1B Jayce Boyd: 0-5, K; After a 1.037 OPS in April, the 22-year-old has a .783 mark in May
- RF Maikis De La Cruz: 2-4, 2B, R, K; 7 for his first 18 since he was called up to cover for an ailing Nimmo
- RHP Luis Cessa: 6 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 4 K, 4 BB, 2 HR; A .277 opponent average is not the very best sign, nor is the awful 1.57 HR/9
Star of the Night
He may not be the biggest name, but let's go with Dustin Lawley off a big night for St. Lucie. The 23-year-old is batting just .244 with a healthy amount of strikeouts thus far in 2013; however, his eight home runs are good enough for second-best in the Florida State League (behind only Miguel Sano).
Goat of the Night
Dylan Owen seems an obvious choice for this one, but let's go with bullpen-mate Justin Hampson for coming up small when he could have stemmed the tide.