*All results from games played on Friday, May 17th, 2013*
AAA - Las Vegas 51s (19-20)__________________________________
LAS VEGAS 7, OMAHA 3 (Box)
For the second night in a row, the 51s managed to strike out eleven times, but those whiffs and looks were offset by three home runs from Josh Satin, Landon Powell, and Collin Cowgill. Not to mention 51s pitching had thirteen K's of their own in Omaha last night. Matt Fox pitched five solid innings, and was able to procure the win as the 51s broke a 3-3 tie in the top of the sixth and would never relinquish the lead. The bullpen was stellar, pitching four innings of one-hit ball while striking out seven. Happy night for our Pacific Coast League heroes.
- CF Kirk Nieuwenhuis:0-4, R, BB, 2 K; That would now be 22 strikeouts in 71 AAA at-bats
- LF Collin Cowgill: 1-4, R, RBI, BB, K, HR (2)
- DH Josh Satin: 2-4, 2 R, 3 RBI, BB, HR (6); #Hail
- 1B Andrew Brown: 2-4, RBI
- 2B Wilmer Flores: 1-5, 2 RBI
- SS Brandon Hicks: 0-4, 4 K
- 3B Eric Campbell: 1-4, RBI, E (2)
- RHP Matt Fox: 5 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 6 K, 2 HR
AA - Binghamton Mets (23-18)_____________________________________
BINGHAMTON 6, PORTLAND 3 (Box)
The B-Mets took advantage of three Sea Dog errors in the top of the ninth inning to break a three-all deadlock. Jeff Walters subsequently struck out the side to earn his Eastern League-leading eleventh save. Erik Goeddel pitched six solid innings in the no-decision, dueling rather admirably with Red Sox uber-prospect Matt Barnes. John Church earned the win pitching two scoreless innings of relief.
- SS Wilfredo Tovar: 0-3, BB, K
- 2B Danny Muno: 1-5, 2B, 2 R, K
- RF Cory Vaughn: 1-3, 2B, BB, K
- DH Cesar Puello: 2-5, 2B, R, 2 RBI, K
- CF Alonzo Harris: 2-3, R, BB, 2 SB (13); Dropped to eighth in the lineup
- RHP Erik Goeddel: 6 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 6 K, HR
- RHP Jeff Walters: IP, 3 K
Hi-A - St. Lucie Mets (23-15)________________________________________
ST. LUCIE 4, BRADENTON 5 (Box)
Whoa, Jenrry Mejia got the start for the S-Mets last night and there were some good things (six strikeouts in three innings) and some not-so-good things (five hits and three walks on 61 pitches). I can live with that though. However, for the game, our Florida State League heroes would be felled in walk-off fashion on an RBI single from Willy Garcia off T.J. Chism, sending Marauder fans home happy and leaving me in a mild state of vexation. Dustin Lawley went yard for ninth time this season, and Aderlin Rodriguez did likewise, meriting his seventh unimpeded trot around this bases.
- 2B T.J. Rivera: 2-5, 2 K
- SS Matt Reynolds: 0-3, R, BB, K
- LF Dustin Lawley: 2-4, 3B, 2 R, 2 RBI, K, HR (9)
- 3B Aderlin Rodriguez: 1-4, R, RBI, K, HR (7)
- RF Travis Taijeron: 0-4, K
- C Cam Maron: 0-2, BB
- REHAB ALERT RHP Jenrry Mejia: 3 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 6 K
Lo-A - Savannah Sand Gnats (22-16)__________________________________
SAVANNAH 0, AUGUSTA 11 (Box)
Three Augusta pitchers combined to one-hit the Sand Gnats last night. Robert Gsellman wasn't terrible, but was hurt by chronic poor fielding, including a throwing error of his own. Welp.
- CF Eudy Pina: 0-3, 2 K
- RF Maikis De La Cruz: 0-3, BB, K
- DH Kevin Plawecki: 0-3, BB
- 1B Cole Frenzel: 0-3
- SS Phil Evans: 0-3, E (12); 2-for-30 in his last 9 games
- 2B Yucary De La Cruz: 1(!)-4; Did you know his name was short for Yucarybert?
- RHP Robert Gsellman: 4.2 IP, 9 H, 7 R (2 ER), BB, K, HR
Star of the Night
Welcome back, Jenrry. We've missed you so. Much love to Dustin Lawley, Jeff Walters, and #HailSatin.
Goat of the Night
Good grief, Savannah, you're usually the son that doesn't disappoint me when writing these reports. Oh, and welcome to the GotN section, Brandon Hicks.