*All results from games played on Monday, May 20th, 2013*
AAA - Las Vegas 51s (20-21)__________________________________
POSTPONED DUE TO RAIN: was really hoping to recap Rafael Montero's AAA debut. They'll play two today; Montero pitches in the morning affair.
AA - Binghamton Mets (25-19)_____________________________________
BINGHAMTON 6, NEW BRITAIN 3 (Box)
Logan Verrett led the B-Mets to victory last night, striking out 10 and walking none over six innings. The bats were working as well, most notably Cesar Puello's. On the same day Puello had nice things written about him, he collected three hits, including two doubles, and -- surprise, surprise -- a hit by pitch. But it was really Allan Dykstra who had the will to win in this one, leading the way with a three run homer and a two run double.
- RF Cesar Puello: 3-4, 2 R, 2 2B, RBI, HBP
- LF Cory Vaughn: 1-4; Vaughn was named last week's Eastern League Player of the week. His line for the week: 10-25, BB, HBP, 2 2B, HR, 5 R, 9 RBI, SB (.400/.444/.600)
- SS Wilfredo Tovar: 1-4
- CF Alonzo Harris: 1-4
- 2B Danny Muno: 1-5, R, K
- RHP Logan Verrett: 6 IP, 9 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 10 K
Hi-A - St. Lucie Mets (24-18)________________________________________
ST. LUCIE 3, DUNEDIN (Box)
Another game, another double digit strikeout performance. Matthew Bowman threw seven great innings, striking out 11 and walking one. Since being promoted to Hi-A, Bowman has gone 20 IP, 13 H, 5 ER, 3 BB, 27 K over his first three starts. Could we have something special here? Most of the scouting reports I've read do not project an overly high ceiling for Bowman. Regardless, if he keeps pitching like this he should see Bingamton by the end of the year, which would be extremely impressive considering he started in Savannah. As for the game itself, the Mets started the night facing a rehabbing Josh Johnson, who predictably struck out five over three innings. Dustin Lawley, Ryan Sandoval, and Travis Taijeron managed to get hits off Johnson. Hopefully that's not the only time they ever get a hit off of a Major League pitcher. The Mets tied it up in the top of the 9th but were unable to extend the game to extras as the bullpen gave up a run in the bottom half -- including the 2013 debut of Ryan Fraser.
- 3B Aderlin Rodriguez: 1-4, K
- 2B T.J. Rivera: 1-5, RBI, 2 K
- SS Matt Reynolds: 1-5, R
- CF Gilbert Gomez: 0-3, K
- DH Dustin Lawley: 1-5, 2B, 2 K
- C Cam Maron: 0-2, RBI, 2 BB, K
- RHP Matthew Bowman: 7 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, BB, 11 K
Lo-A - Savannah Sand Gnats (25-17)__________________________________
CHARLESTON 2, SAVANNAH 5 (Box)
In what was likely his last start as a teenager, Gabriel Ynoa was dominant going 6 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 7 K as Savannah beat Charleston 5-2. There's lots to be excited about with Ynoa, he's sporting a 44:9 strikeout to walk ratio over 45.2 innings as one of the youngest pitchers in the Sally league.
- DH Jayce Boyd: 0-4, K
- RF Maikis De La Cruz: 0-4
- C Kevin Plawecki: 1-4, R
- 1B Cole Frenzel: 2-3, R, HR, 2 RBI
- SS Phil Evans: 1-3, R
- RHP Gabriel Ynoa: 6 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 7 K
- RHP Rainy Lara: Cory Vaughn wasn't the only Mets player to receive a player of the week award yesterday. Rainy Lara was named the Sally League's pitcher of the week for the week of May 13-19. Lara had one start over the period going 8 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 9 K. It is the second time this season Lara has earned this honor.
Star of the Night
The star of the night goes to Matthew Bowman for his 11 strikeout performance which continued his torrid start in St. Lucie.
Goat of the Night
The Horns go to the rain, for delaying Montero's AAA debut. Screw you, rain.