*All results from games played on Monday, June 3rd, 2013*
AAA - Las Vegas 51s (30-26)__________________________________
FRESNO 0, LAS VEGAS 8 (Box)
The 51s won their sixth in a row thanks to a ridiculous pitching performance from Carlos Torres; 9 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 11 K. Over his last three starts, Torres has gone 20.2 IP, 13 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 27 K. Pretty, pretty good. At 30 years old he's not a prospect, but good on him for killing it in the PCL for a bit.
- CF Kirk Nieuwenhuis: 1-4, RBI, BB
- OF Collin Cowgill: DNP
- IF Josh Satin: DNP
- 2B Wilmer Flores: 2-5, 2 R, 2 K (shocking)
- 3B Eric Campbell: 3-4, 3 R, 3 RBI, BB, HR (5); (raking)
- RHP Carlos Torres: 9 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 11 K
AA - Binghamton Mets (33-24)_____________________________________
NO SCHEDULED GAME
Hi-A - St. Lucie Mets (30-25)________________________________________
LAKELAND 2, ST. LUCIE 1 (Box)
Despite five strong innings, Noah Syndergaard was the tough luck loser Monday night as St. Lucie lost to Lakeland 2-1. Syndergaard cruised through the first four innings but ran into a bit of trouble in the fifth, allowing a couple of singles and a double. The start comes on the heels of a recent scouting report over at Baseball Prospectus (paywall) that said mostly positive things about our tall Viking. They even graded his curveball ahead of his changeup, which I think is a great sign considering the biggest question mark on Syndy coming into the season was the development of his curveball. I wouldn't be surprised to see Syndergaard in Bingo before the end of the year. There is a bit of news offensively as well, Travis Taijeron was named the FSL Player of the Week for the week ended June 2nd. I'm sure his three homers on Sunday had something to do with it. As an encore to his Sunday performance, Taijeron went 3-4 with another home run on Monday. Check out the triple slash from his last 10 game: .471/.500/1.029. Wow.
- 2B T.J. Rivera: 2-4, 2B, K
- SS Matt Reynolds: 1-3, K
- LF Dustin Lawley: 1-4, 2K
- 1B Aderlin Rodriguez: 0-4, K
- CF Travis Taijeron: 3-4, R, RBI, HR (9)
- RHP Noah Syndergard: 5 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 5 K
Lo-A - Savannah Sand Gnats (34-22)__________________________________
NO SCHEDULED GAME
- RHP Luis Cessa: Cessa was named the Sally League's pitcher of the week for the week ended June 2nd. He had one start during the week, going 7.2 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 10 K. The outing brought Cessa's ERA down to 3.69. On the year, he has struck out 50 and walked just 9 in 53.2 innings. Still just 21 years old, Cessa has gone 14.1 IP, 9 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 17 K over his last two starts.
Star of the Night
Prospect or no prospect, respect must be paid to Carlos Torres who threw perhaps the best game anyone in our minor league affiliates has tossed this year. I did hesitate a moment when I noticed he also posted a golden sombrero as well. Actually..
Goat of the Night
On a slow night for the affiliates, we're giving Torres double duty as both Star and Goat. Four strikeouts in four ABs for a pitcher may be acceptable on any other night, but when there's only two games going on, it earns you the horns, even if you did toss a complete game shutout.