*All results from games played on Monday, August 19th, 2013*
AAA - Las Vegas 51s (71-57)__________________________________
LAS VEGAS 14, SALT LAKE 8 (Box)
The 51s participated in the baseball equivalent of a shootout Monday night, opening up a 7-1 lead only to find themselves trailing 8-7 just one inning later. Fortunately, the bullpen was able to shut down the Bees of Salt Lake for the final five innings and Vegas ended up winning 14-8. Leading the way offensively was Matt den Dekker, who homered twice to raise his triple-A triple slash to .282/.357/.503.
- RF Kirk Nieuwenhuis: 1-4, R, BB, K
- SS Ruben Tejada: 3-6, 2 R, 3 RBI, 2B
- 1B Lucas Duda: 1-5, 2 R, 2 RBI, 2B, BB, K
- 3B Zach Lutz: 2-5, 2 R, 4 RBI, 2B, HR (13), BB, 2 K
- CF Matt den Dekker: 3-4, 3 R, 2 RBI, 2 HR (6), BB
- C Francisco Pena: 0-4, K
- RHP Matt Fox: 4 IP, 9 H, 8 R, 8 ER, 4 BB, K
- LHP Tim Byrdak: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K
AA - Binghamton Mets (80-48)_____________________________________
BOWIE 2, BINGHAMTON 3 / 10 (Box)
Blake Forsythe saved the day--bailing out Jeff Walters in the process--by hitting a walk-off home run in the bottom of the 10th to lead the B-Mets to their 80th win of the season. Darin Gorski had another solid outing, allowing one run over seven innings to lower his double-A ERA to 1.97. It figures that a few days after talking up the Bingo bullpen they blow a save, but to their credit they tossed a scoreless eighth and tenth to help the cause.
- 2B-SS Danny Muno: 2-4, R, K
- DH Josh Rodriguez: 0-4
- RF-CF Travis Taijeron: 0-4, K
- LF-CF Cory Vaughn: 0-1, K; Pinch ran for in the 4th after getting hit by a pitch in the head. Hope he's okay.
- 1B Allan Dykstra: 0-3, BB, K
- C-RF Blake Forsythe: 1-4, R, RBI, HR (10), K
- SS Wilfredo Tovar: 1-1; Left game after hurting himself sliding into second.
- CF Alonzo Harris: 0-3, 2 K
- LHP Darin Gorski: 7 IP, 6 H, R, ER, 2 BB, 3 K
Hi-A - St. Lucie Mets (28-23 / 65-53)________________________________________
NO GAME (SCHEDULE)
Lo-A - Savannah Sand Gnats (27-26 / 70-52)__________________________________
Savannah split their doubleheader Monday but Brandon Nimmo was consistently awesome, going 2-3 with three walks between the two games. The performances brought his on-base percentage to just under .400, which is pretty remarkable given his struggles of June and July. One key to his success has been a decreased strikeout rate. He's striking out just 21% of the time in August after striking out in 34% of his plate appearances in July.
SAVANNAH 3, AUGUSTA 2 / 7 (Box)
- CF Brandon Nimmo: 0-0, R, 3 BB; .277/.399/.370; I'll take this season from Nimmo. I'll talk myself into June and July being the result of injury and point to the near .400 OBP to get myself excited going into next season.
- RF Maikis De La Cruz: 1-2, RBI, BB
- DH Eudy Pina: 0-3, R, BB, K
- LF Stefan Sabol: 1-3, K
- SS Phil Evans: 0-3, K; Rough year for Phil. Battled injuries and hasn't posted an OBP over .300 in any month.
- RHP Seth Lugo: 6 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, BB, 3 K
- RHP Paul Sewald: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
SAVANNAH 0, AUGUSTA 4 (Box)
- DH Brandon Nimmo: 2-3, K
- CF Maikis De La Cruz: 1-3
- RF Eudy Pina: 0-2, BB, K
- LH Stefan Sabol: 0-2, BB, K
- C Albert Cordero: 0-3
- RHP Jake Kuebler: 3 IP, 2 H 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K
- RHP Wanel Mesa: 3 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 6 K
Short-A - Brooklyn Cyclones (30-29)
STATEN ISLAND 2, BROOKLYN 3 / 7 (Box)
- CF Patrick Biondi: 1-3, RBI, BB
- SS Gavin Cecchini: 0-3; So ends the 16-game hitting streak. Sitting at .302/.336/.353, which I'll take given how bleak things looked early on.
- 2B L.J. Mazzilli: 1-3
- LF Jared King: 0-3, K
- RHP Akeel Morris: 5 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 3 BB, 5 K; This was Morris's first start of the season and he's certainly earned it--his ERA now sits at 0.47 in 38.1 innings.
STATEN ISLAND 5, BROOKLYN 2 (Box)
Rk - Kingsport Mets (32-25)_____________________________
BURLINGTON 5, KINGSPORT 6 (Box)
- SS Amed Rosario: 1-4, 3B, 2 RBI; .249/.281/.378. The fact that he's not completely over-matched as a 17-year-old is impressive.
- 3B Yeixon Ruiz: 0-3, BB, K
- RF Eris Peguero: 2-4, R, 2B, RBI
- LF Joe Tuschak: 1-4
- 2B Jeff McNeil: 1-4, R, K
- C Jeyckol De Leon: 1-4, R, 2 RBI, 2B
- CF Champ Stuart: 1-3, BB, 2 K
- LHP Yoan Gonzalez: 4.2, 9 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 5 K
Rk - GCL Mets (16-35)_______________________________
GCL CARDINALS 7, GCL METS 1 (Box)
- DH Luis Guillorme: 0-4, R
- SS Leon Canelon: 1-4, 2B, RBI
- 2B Branden Kaupe: 0-3, 2 K; Still rocking a .000 ISO 124 plate appearances into the season.
- 3B Jhoan Urena: 1-3, BB, K, 2 E (16)
- RF Wuilmer Becerra: 1-3, K
- RHP Andrew Church: 5.2 IP, 12 H, 6 R, 5 ER, BB, 2 K
Star of the Night
Getting on-base in five out of six plate appearances is a good way to get yourself noticed, Brandon Nimmo, but unfortunately you got usurped in the late game by Matt den Dekker, who homered twice, singled, and walked in five plate appearances.
Goat of the Night
I was leaning toward Andrew Church for the goat horns but then Matt Fox blew a 7-1 lead for Vegas to secure the head gear.