*All results from games played on Wednesday, August 29th, 2013*
AAA - Las Vegas 51s (80-60)__________________________________
LAS VEGAS 10, COLORADO SPRINGS 7 (Box)
The 51s put six runs on the board in the first two innings and that turned out to be more than enough for Matt Fox, who struck out 10 and walked one over 6.2 innings to lead Vegas to a 10-7 win. The win guarantees Vegas will have at least a two game lead--depending on the outcome of the Sacramento game--with four games to play in the race for the playoffs. Dustin Lawley had a hand in the offense, launching his first home run since the promotion to go along with two doubles. Ruben Tejada also--shockingly--homered in the game, his first since being optioned. The 51s head back to Vegas and open a four game series to close the regular season against Tuscon on Friday.
- CF Kirk Nieuwenhuis: 2-6, 2 R, 2B, RBI, 3 K
- SS Ruben Tejada: 3-5, R, 3 RBI, HR (1), K
- RF Mike Baxter: 3-5, R, 2B, RBI, HR (7), K
- 3B Zach Lutz: 2-4, R, RBI, K
- LF Dustin Lawley: 3-5, 2 R, 2 2B, HR (1), 2 RBI
- C Juan Centeno: 2-5, R, 2B, RBI
- RHP Matt Fox: 6.2 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, BB, 10 K
- LHP Hisanori Takahashi: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, K; <--- Look who's pitching for Colorado Springs
AA - Binghamton Mets (84-54)_____________________________________
BINGHAMTON 1, BOWIE 13 (Box)
Erik Goeddel had his worst start of the season, allowing 12 hits and 10 runs in just under five innings, and the B-Mets' bats weren't up to the task as they lost 13-1 to split the series with Bowie. For Goeddel, the outing the raised his ERA from 3.83 to 4.37. He has 125 strikeout and 58 walks in 134 innings this season. He's also Rule 5 eligible this year for the first time. I'm not sure what the Mets will do but I'm thinking it might be time to try converting him to the pen.
- 2B Danny Muno: 1-4, 2B, BB, K
- DH Darrell Ceciliani: 0-5, 2 K
- 3B Josh Rodriguez: 0-3, 2 K
- 1B Allan Dykstra: DNP
- RF Cory Vaughn: 0-3, K
- SS Wilfredo Tovar: 1-3, BB
- RHP Erik Goeddel: 4.2 IP, 12 H, 10 R, 10 ER, BB, 5 K, 4 HR allowed
Hi-A - St. Lucie Mets (32-30 / 69-60)________________________________________
St. LUCIE 3, JUPITER 12 (Box)
- CF Kyle Johnson: 1-4, BB
- 2B T.J. Rivera: 1-4, 2 RBI
- C Kevin Plawecki: 1-4; Good to see that hand issue wasn't anything serious.
- DH Jayce Boyd: 1-4, K
- SS Matt Reynolds: 1-4, R, 2B, K
- RHP Alex Panteliodis: 4.2 IP, 10 H, 8 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
Lo-A - Savannah Sand Gnats (30-33 / 71-64)__________________________________
SAVANNAH 5, ROME 3 (Box)
- CF Brandon Nimmo: 0-4, R, BB
- RF Maikis De La Cruz: 1-4, R
- 2B Dilson Herrera: 2-3, 2 R, RBI, SB; Quite the debut from the recent acquisition. If you haven't already, go check out Alex Nelson's scouting report of Dilson as well as Steve Sypa's introduction. Great job by Sandy to get a prospect with a future major leaguer projection for a couple of expiring assets.
- DH Eudy Pina: 2-4, BB, K
- LF Stefan Sabol: 0-4, 2 K
- 3B Cole Frenzel: 1-4, R, HR (6), 2 RBI, K
- SS Phil Evans: 1-4, K
- RHP Gabriel Ynoa: 6 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, K; Ynoa was named the 2013 Most Outstanding Pitcher for the South Atlantic League on Thursday. He has posted a 2.72 ERA over 135.2 innings while walking just 16 batters. His control has been amazing. If I were to nitpick anything it would be the strikeout percentage. But for a 20 year-old in A ball, you really couldn't ask for a much better season.
Short-A - Brooklyn Cyclones (37-32)
STATEN ISLAND 1, BROOKLYN 2 (Box)
Quality pitching leads the way again for the 'Clones. With nine strikeouts in six innings Miller Diaz now has 82 in 62.2 innings. I know a bunch of you were there last night so I'll leave it to you: How did Diaz look? Any thoughts on anyone else?
- SS Gavin Cecchini: 0-3, BB
- IF L.J. Mazzilli: DNP
- LF Jared King: 0-3, BB
- RF James Roche: 0-2, BB, K
- DH Matt Oberste: 2-4, 3B
- RHP Miller Diaz: 6 IP, H, 0 R, 3 BB, 9 K
Rk - Kingsport Mets (39-27)_____________________________
BLUEFIELD 1, KINGSPORT 9 (Box)
- 2B Jeff McNeil: 0-2, 3 R, RBI, 2 BB
- PH-DH Dominic Smith: 2-2, 2 2B, 2 RBI; PROMOAT; Two walks and two doubles for Smith in his first four plate appearances in Kingsport.
- SS Amed Rosario: 0-3, K
- CF Champ Stuart: 3-5, 3 R, RBI, 2B, HR (1), K
- RHP Gaby Almonte: 6 IP, 3 H, R, ER, 3 BB, 3 K
Rk - GCL Mets (20-40)_______________________________
GCL MARLINS 1, GCL METS 4 (Box)
- SS Luis Guillorme: 2-4, R, 2 RBI
- CF Ivan Wilson: 1-3, 2 RBI, BB
- RF Wuilmer Becerra: 1-4, K
- 1B Elvis Sanchez: 0-2, R, 2 BB
- RF Oswald Caraballo: 2-4
- 2B Branden Kaupe: 0-4; Still in search of that elusive XBH.
- RHP Marcos Molina: 5 IP, 7 H, R, ER, 0 BB, 3 K
Star of the Night
Who needs double-A? Apparently not Dustin Lawley, who had three extra-base hits on the night including his first home run since the promotion.
Goat of the Night