I'd like to preface this by saying I don't think Gary Cohen is a bad announcer, he's better than quite a few announcers in baseball. My problem is with those who believe him to be the messiah and second to only Vin Scully. Lets take it point by point.
1. He's no Howie Rose
2. Ronny constantly asks him questions like "Jon Niese seems to have a new confidence about him, right?" And Gary will not answer. This drives me nuts a simple "a huh" would do fine but now the rest of the inning I'm sitting there feeling that Ronny was left hanging.
3. He's always comes off like a snarky douche, as if he's not allowed be made fun but is allowed to deal on Keith all the time.
4. This guy has an absolute hard on for extra inning games.
5. I don't think he has a particularly good voice for an announcer, it's more nasally than those you'll find in the midwest types although on that not sometimes that's all the midwest types will bring table.
6. He's not fucking funny AT ALL! Fuck I've never laughed at any of his stupid cutesey jokes. "Gary Picker brought us too much coffee, even for Keith, HA HAHAHA HAR HAR ArHAR!!!!!"
7. Ron however will, all the time, give fake laughter to Gary to be nice and then to of course bring it full circle will be left hanging by Gary later on. That's the commentary circle of shit that goes round and around repeatedly on the broadcast.
8. He looks like a turtle.