*All results from games played on Friday, May 2nd, 2014.
Triple-A - Las Vegas 51s (20-9)______________________________________
TACOMA 6, LAS VEGAS 4 (Box)
The 51s took a 3-1 lead into the bottom of the eighth inning, but reliever Joel Carreno walked the only two batters he faced. His replacement, Zack Thornton, proceeded to issue three more free passes, allow three hits, and record the only out he'd get on a sacrifice fly. Erik Goeddel finally put an end to the nightmare frame by striking out a pair of Rainiers, but the damage was done by that point.
The bullpen meltdown negated a four-hit, two-homer performance from Wilmer Flores and a decent start from Logan Verrett. The 2013 Eastern League All-Star didn't miss many bats, but he pounded the strike zone (60-25 K:BB ratio) and kept the infield busy by inducing a ton of ground balls (13-4 GO:FO ratio).
- LF Kirk Nieuwenhuis: 0-4, BB, 2 K
- 2B Eric Campbell: 0-5, 2 K
- SS Wilmer Flores: 4-5, 3 R, 2 HR, 2 RBI, K
- DH Allan Dykstra: 1-3, 2B, RBI, BB
- RF Andrew Brown: 2-4, K
- 1B Brandon Allen: 1-4, RBI
- 3B Zach Lutz: 0-4, 3 K
- CF Matt den Dekker: 2-4, K
- C Taylor Teagarden: 1-2, 2 BB
- RHP Logan Verrett: 7 IP, 5 H, ER, 2 BB, 2 K, HR
Double-A - Binghamton Mets (13-10)______________________________________
BINGHAMTON 5, PORTLAND 1 (Box)
Timely singles and a pair of errors helped the B-Mets housebreak the Sea Dogs last night at NYSEG Stadium. Binghamton starter Greg Peavey was the beneficiary of those well-timed hits and miscues. The former Oregon State Duck did let eight runners reach base in his six innings of work, though he allocated them in a more temporally propitious way, as only one came around to score.
Kevin Plawecki was the only B-Met to pick up an extra-base knock. One of the two safeties he recorded was a double and he now has four multi-hit games in his last ten. Hopefully he's starting to warm up after a cold start.
- CF Darrell Ceciliani: 1-3
- 3B Brian Burgamy: 0-3, RBI, 2 K
- SS Matt Reynolds: 0-4
- 1B Matt Clark: 1-3, BB
- C Kevin Plawecki: 2-4, 2 R, 2B
- DH Jayce Boyd: 0-3, R, BB, K
- LF Dustin Lawley: 0-3, R, BB, K
- RF Kyle Johnson: 2-3, R, 2 RBI, CS
- 2B Wilfredo Tovar: 1-3, RBI, SB
- RHP Greg Peavey: 6 IP, 6 H, ER, 2 BB, 4 K
Advanced-A - St. Lucie Mets (15-12)______________________________________
The St. Lucie - Bradenton tilt was rained out last night. The two teams will play a doubleheader twi-night doubleheader today with first pitch at 5:00 p.m.
Low-A - Savannah Sand Gnats (18-8)______________________________________
SAVANNAH 2, ROME 1 (Box)
Savannah jumped out to an early lead thanks to a leadoff triple by Gavin Cecchini and balk from Rome starter Chuck Buchanan (whose MiLB headshot, incidentally, makes him look like he could be the younger brother of this warped Scotsman). Though the team would only score one more run on a bases loaded HBP in the sixth, the Sand Gnats made Rome's pitchers work all game long, taking a total of eight free passes.
In addition to his three-bagger, Cecchini singled twice. He's now ten for his last 19 and, with three walks over that time span as well, has brought his on-base percentage up to .348 for the season.
- SS Gavin Cecchini: 3-4, R, 3B, BB, K, CS
- 3B Jeff McNeil: 0-3, RBI, K, 2 HBP
- 2B L.J. Mazzilli: 0-3, BB
- LF Jared King: 0-3, BB
- DH Matt Oberste: 0-3, BB
- RF Victor Cruzado: 1-4, 2B
- 1B Dominic Smith: 0-2, 2 BB
- C Colton Plaia: 0-3, R, BB
- CF Patrick Biondi: 2-3, BB
- RHP Miller Diaz: 6.1 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 6 K
Star of the Night
With two home runs in five at-bats, Wilmer Flores hit as many round trippers last night as Ruben Tejada has in 1,449 major league plate appearances.
Goat of the Night
One horn each for Joel Carreno and Zack Thornton. The latter has averaged 2.3 walks per nine innings in his minor league career to date. With any luck, last night's bout of wildness is an anomaly for the former Pirates farmhand and not the first symptom of Vic Black disease.