Okay, so I missed the first half of the game while I was out to dinner with my fiancee, my sister, and her boyfriend. I scrambled to set up wireless notifications of scoring plays from the game so I could keep track of the game on by cellphone. In my hast, I managed to set up two different set of alerts (one from Verizon, one from ESPN), so every time somthing happened I would hear about it twice. This was disheartening in the first inning as the Mets gave up two runs, but was very nice when Piazza hit his homerun.
Anyway, here are my thoughts on the game.
- The Mets stink.
- The Mets are going to have to find a way to score more than one run off of mediocre pitchers like John Thomson and Aaron Harang or this is going to be a long, long season.
- Mets hitters struck out eight times and didn't draw a single walk. That's not going to win a lot of games.
- Victor Zambrano has nasty stuff. He also has lousy control. I was almost catatonic when he managed to strike out Raul Mondesi with the bases loaded; huge fist pump from me on that one.
- Manny Aybar sucks. AAA relievers Heath Bell, Blake McGinley, and Royce Ring combined to pitch 4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6 K.
- The Mets are hitting .289/.336/.467 overall, which is very very good.
- The Mets are hitting .160/.214/.320 with runners in scoring position (25 at-bats), which is abysmal.
- The Mets are 2-for-6 (33%) in stolen bases.