I'm sure we were all hoping to see Pedro Martinez mowing down Nats on Opening Day, but with his ailing toe and the whole Nike-gate (it's so easy to affix "gate" to anything serious or scandalous) thing, I'm not particularly surprised to see Petey's first start pushed back a little bit. He is scheduled to pitch on Thursday, April 6th, but may be pushed back even further to Saturday, April 8th, to allow him to start a (hopefully) warm-weather day game instead of a bitter cold night game. I suspect they will simply throw him in there as soon as he feels he is ready.
- Glavine for openers (Daily News)
- Pedro not in opener (Newsday)
- Pedro a no-go (NY Post)
- It's official: Pedro won't start on Opening Day (Journal News)
- Pedro won't be ready for opener (Bergen Record)
- Glavine, not Pedro, will start opener (Star Ledger)
- Glavine to make start on Opening Day (MLB.com)