The apocalypse is officially upon us. All of this just serves to remind us, begrudgingly, that the Mets haven't won a championship in twenty seasons. They've come close, and they've also come not-so-close. Whatever sense of entitlement Mets fans have about their team, the Phillies went out there and made the playoffs and then won the whole freaking thing. That's what happens.
Since the Mets last won the World Series...
- 427 players have had at least one plate appearance for the Mets.
- 240 players have thrown at least an inning for the Mets.
- Dwight Gooden has thrown the most innings (1,425).
- Dwight Gooden has the most wins (99).
- Al Leiter has the most losses (67).
- David Cone has the most strikeouts (1,172).
- Mike Piazza has hit the most homeruns (220).
- Jose Reyes has hit the most triples (71).
- Edgardo Alfonzo has hit the most doubles (212).
- Jose Reyes has stolen the most bases (290).
- Howard Johnson has struck out the most times (685).
- Cliff Floyd has been hit by the most pitches (37).
- Jon Niese was born (technically the same day the Mets won, 10/27/1986).
- The Mets have had nine managers: Davey Johnson, Bud Harrelson, Mike Cubbage, Jeff Torborg, Dallas Green, Bobby Valentine, Art Howe, Willie Randolph, Jerry Manuel.
- The Mets have had seven general managers: Frank Cashen, Gerry Hunsicker, Al Harazin, Joe McIlvaine, Steve Phillips, Jim Duquette and Omar Minaya.
- 55,319,709 fans have attended Mets games at Shea Stadium.
- Fourteen different teams have won the World Series: Yankees (4), Marlins (2), Red Sox (2), Twins (2), Blue Jays (2), Cardinals, White Sox, Angels, Diamondbacks, Braves, Reds, Athletics, Dodgers, Phillies.
- Two teams that weren't even in the league at the time have combined to win three World Series titles (Marlins x2, Diamondbacks).
- 99,176 homeruns have been hit (Barry Bonds, 746).
- 19,539 triples have been hit (Steve Finley, 124).
- 173,946 doubles have been hit (Craig Biggio, 668).
- 66,370 bases have been stolen (Rickey Henderson, 746).
- 622,798 strikeouts have been recorded (Sammy Sosa, 2,306.
- There have been 22,482 sacrifice bunts (Omar Vizquel, 239.
- There have been 15,343 hit batsmen (Craig Biggio, 285).
- There have been four MLB commissioners: Peter Ueberroth, Bart Giamatti, Fay Vincent and Bud Selig.
- There have been four U.S. presidents: Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush. Soon there will be a fifth.
- The U.S. population has grown from 240,132,887 to 305,531,493, an increase of 27.2%.
- 8,039 days have elapsed, or approximately 192,936 hours, 11,576,160 minutes, or 694,569,600 seconds.
- 423 episodes of The Simpsons have aired.
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average has risen from 1,841.82 to 8,990.96, an increase of 7,149.14 points and 388%.
- The price of a gallon of regular gasoline has increased from $0.93 to $2.66, an increase of $1.73 and 186%.
- Films have grossed more than $151 billion domestically while the average ticket price has increased from $3.71 to $7.08.
Feel free to add your own. This is kind of cathartic.