Somehow, this makes Dwight Gooden's ridiculous 1984 season even more impressive:
- I only included pitchers who accumulated at least 60 innings in a given year.
- Yes, Armando Benitez was that good. In the postseason or late-season games against the Braves, not so much.
- Benitez has four of the seven best K/9 seasons in Mets history.
- Benitez and Billy Wagner have six of the top eight.
- Gooden's 1984 season is the only one by a starting pitcher on the list.
- Don't know who Skip Lockwood is? Read on.
- I'm as shocked as you to see Dennis Cook on this list. That was a great season, though.