After debuting the original AAOP last year, I'm back with a new plan. Think I'm out of my mind here? Remember the only Mets blogger pushing for Kelly Johnson, R.A. Dickey, and Carl Pavano last offseason. Anyway, here's my squadron, consisting mostly of players I've watched play for the Nashville Sounds:
- Mike Pelfrey, Carlos Beltran and Lucas Duda to the Brewers in exchange for OF Lorenzo Cain and 2B Rickie Weeks. Agree to pay $15 Million dollars on Beltran's salary.-- The Brewers are, as ever, desperate for a starter to slot behind Yovani Gallardo. Pelfrey achieved several little plateaus last season--15 wins, ERA<3.70--that color people's perceptions of a player, but don't necessarily make the player good. Pelfrey has been the same unremarkable, average pitcher for three years now, but his value is at an all-time high. Weeks, when healthy, is a franchise player and solves a long-term problem at secondbase. Weeks recently changed agents, making him a signability concern for Milwaukee. Cain is a plus-defensive centerfielder who can handle Citi Field's tricky rightfield with lead-off hitter upside in his bat.
Major League Signings
- RHP Kevin Correia--1/$5M. Solid peripherals, good GB% bad luck with HR/FB and LOB%. Comparable skills to Pelfrey.
- RHP Brad Penny--1/$3M. Dave Duncan quietly turned Penny into super-Joel Piniero last year, pre-injury.
- RHP Grant Balfour--2/$7M. Good set-up man.
- LHP J.P. Howell--1/$1M w/incentives. One of the best left-handed relievers in the game, when healthy.
- OF Tony Gwynn Jr.--1/$500K. Incredible defensive outfielder with good batting eye.
- C Russel Martin--1/$1M. Formerly great afro-canadian catcher with recent well-documented problems hitting the baseball.
Minor League Signings
- OF Jason Dubois
- RHP Ryan Braun--Ryan Braun and Tony Gwynn on one team? Yowzers.
- RHP Winston Abreu
- RHP Charlie Zink
Here's the crux of my plan. I know it says "Haeger" on the roster, but he just signed with the Mariners and I'm not changing it. Being a knuckleball pitcher is like being a Jedi, you have to learn from a master. With Zink a minor league free agent, we may have a suitable apprentice for Dickey.
- Oliver Perez
- Luis Castillo
- Charlie Samuels