New York Mets Daily Farm System Report - Results from the night of Saturday, May 29 2010
The Usual Suspects
AAA - Buffalo (29-20)
- DH Dan Murphy: 1-4 (.222/.222/.333) I don't think this is the position switch we meant
- SS Ruben Tejada: 0-4 (.292/.339/.357)
- 3B Mike Hessman: 1-3, HR(17), 2 RBI, R, BB (.308/.389/.676)
- CF Jesus Feliciano: 2-4, 2 R, K (.383/.432/.474) CF again
- C Josh Thole: DNP (.241/.323/.397)
- SP Tobi Stoner: 5.2 IP, 4 ER, 6 H, 1 BB, 6 K, 2 HR (3-5, 5.13, 52.2 IP, 61 H, 18 BB, 37 K, 7 HR)
AA - Binghamton (23-25)
- DH Kirk Nieuwenhuis: 1-5, R, BB, K (.294/.329/.483) DH again
- 1B Nick Evans: 2-6, 2B, 2 R, K (.274/.346/.500)
- 3B Eric Campbell: 2-5, 2B, 2 RBI, 3 R, BB (.394/.415/.524) The multi-hit game streak stretches to 5
- 2B Reese Havens: 3-5, 3B, 2 RBI, R, K, BB (.348/.369/.509) That's nice to see
- SP Michael Antonini: 5.1 IP, 3 ER, 5 H, 1 BB, 2 K, 2 HR (3-4, 4.66, 56 IP, 56 H, 7 BB, 32 K, 9 HR)
- RP Eddie Kunz: 1.2 IP, 1 ER , 1 H, 1 BB, 0 K (4-3, 5.29, 47.2 IP, 44 H, 27 BB, 29 K, 2 HR) After his best career start and a solid May they move him back to the bullpen? We'll see if this is permanent
- RP Manny Alvarez: .1 IP, 3 ER, 3 H, 0 BB, 0 K (0-0, 6.23, 4.1 IP, 5 H, 1 BB, 5 K, 0 HR) And the season-long streak of no earned runs comes to a crushing end
Hi-A - St. Lucie (23-26)
- 2B Josh Satin: 0-2, 2 K, 2 BB (.316/.398/.460)
- 1B Stefan Welch: 1-4, K (.305/.354/.463)
- CF Sean Ratliff: 1-4 (.281/.335/.459)
- SS Jordany Valdespin: 2-5, HR(3), 2 K, E(6) (.309/.337/.527) Made a splash in his first game back from the DL
- SP Kyle Allen: 5 IP, 3 ER (2 unearned), 5 H, 4 BB, 5 K (4-3, 4.73, 51.1 IP, 49 H, 32 BB, 30 K, 3 HR) Followed his best start of the season with a pretty mediocre one; he was horrible in the first but at least he settled down for the following four innings
- ROSTER MOVES: SS Wilfredo Tovar was sent back to extended ST; not sure if it was related to the recent head injury or just a numbers crunch. It's too bad because he was a really interesting story, hopefully he takes Wilmer's spot whenever he moves up. To take Tovar's place, 2B/SS Jordany Valdespin was activated off the DL; so too was future bullpen piece RHP Stephen Clyne.
Lo-A - Savannah (28-21)
- SS Wilmer Flores: 0-2, K (.308/.369/.478) The slump continues: .128/.222/.128 in his last 10 games
- CF Juan Lagares: 0-2 (.276/.294/.457) His too: .195/.227/.220 over last 10
- 3B Jefry Marte: 0-2 (.211/.311/.303)
- RF Cesar Puello: 1-1, 2B, R, BB (.232/.306/.280)
- DH Nick Santomauro: 0-2 (.121/.145/.152) Lots of 0-for-2's tonight
- 2B Alonzo Harris: 1-2, K (.249/.278/.345)
- SP Jim Fuller: 5 IP, 1 ER, 2 H, 2 BB, 5 K (5-2, 1.90, 61.2 IP, 46 H, 17 BB, 62 K, 0 HR) Shame he couldn't finish off his fifth straight strong outing
Star of the Night
The gold star goes to B-Mets 3B Eric Campbell tonight based not only on a strong performance Saturday but on the fact that after his first 8 games in Double-A, he's got a 7-game hit streak going as well as a 5-game multi-hit streak. After tearing up the FSL to the tune of .336/.415/.524, the 22yr old Boston College product hasn't missed a beat against the advanced pitching of the Eastern League. He's suddenly making the Mets look like geniuses for taking him in the 8th round (254th overall) in the exceptionally productive 2008 draft.
Goat of the Night: Hate to do it but it's got to be B-Mets reliever RHP Manny Alvarez off his .1 IP, 3 ER night. He's actually been very strong this year at St. Lucie and now Binghamton and hey, at least he sent his season scoreless streak out with a bang.
- The Bisons managed to match the Mud Hens run for run up until the late innings when they were edged 5-4. Despite a 2-run bomb from Big Hess (his league-leading 17th), this was a matter of the Toledo hitters performing better with men on base, plain and simple. The loss dropped the Herd a game out of first in the IL.
- Even with a solid starting performance from LHP Michael Antonini and the offense providing an early 6-run lead, the B-Mets still found a way to lose this one 11-10. This game resembled an September '08 Mets game in that after building the 6 run lead, the bullpen sprung a leak and instead of locking it up, each resulting reliever allowed things to snowball even worse until Akron took the lead in the 9th. Amidst the late-inning carnage, after 30 innings RHP Manny Alvarez gave up his first earned runs of the 2010 campaign.
- St. Lucie fell behind early thanks to a somewhat wild RHP Kyle Allen as well as a costly error from SS Jorday Valdespin in his first game back and never could climb back, falling 7-2 to Clearwater. Despite outhitting the Threshers, the Mets offense was stifled by an excellent pitching performance from the Clearwater staff that included a perfect inning out of the rehabbing Brad Lidge.
- It wouldn't be a Gnats game without either extra innings or a rain delay and tonight we got the latter. The game was actually suspended in the 5th with the score tied 1-1 and LHP Jim Fuller putting up another excellent performance. Expect this one to be picked up tomorrow before the scheduled game.
- The Dominican Summer League started last night and the Mets are actually fielding 2 separate teams this year. However, we won't be covering the DSL on a daily basis as the players there are just too far off, even for our coverage.