New York Mets Daily Farm System Report - Thursday, May 6 2010
The Usual Suspects
AA - Binghamton
- Captain Kirk: 0-3, 3K, BB
- Nick Evans: 1-4, 2B
- Zack Lutz: 1-3, HR
- Brad Holt: 2 IP, 3 ER, 5 H, 2 BB, 2 K; I'm starting to get a bit worried here Hi-A - St. Lucie
- Reese Havens: 2-5, 2 RBI, 2 K Lo-A - Savannah
- Wilmer Flores: 0-5, 2 K
- Jefry Marte: 0-5, K
- Cesar Puello: 1-5; Rough night for Savannah hitters
Star of the Night
Definitely Savannah LHP Mark Cohoon (pictured) based on his masterful performance last night against Delmarva (9 IP, 0 ER, 4 H, 1 BB, 7 K) that allowed the Gnats to pull out an epic 12 inning affair, 1-0. The '08 12th round pick out of North Central Texas College is one of a whole stable of interesting college arms down in Savannah that have all started the season on fire. The Savannah staff leads the Sally league with a 2.51 ERA and it's not even close.
I hate to do this but Savannah's 2B Alonzo Harris wears the goat collar for the second night in a row. That's because for the second straight day he went a brutal 0-5 with 3 K's, bringing him to 5 for his last 39 and a .139 AVG in his last 10 games. Apparently whatever Jason Bay's got is contagious.
Affiliate Spotlight: Hi-A St. Lucie Mets (10-16)
I don't think 2010 is going to be a banner year for St. Lucie. Right off the bat I'll say that this team is going to have a hard time consistently scoring runs; the offense has only one player represented in Toby Hyde's Mets Top 30 Prospects (Reese Havens) and even he is only in town rehabbing. I guess the bright side is that the team has hit so far but we'll se how long that lasts. Another positive is that the pitching side has some interesting names (Familia, Allen, Carson, Beaulac & Moviel) except almost the entire staff has been atrocious thus far.
In the last week, St. Lucie has gone 2-5, made possible by a 4 game losing streak over the weekend. Overall, the Gnats are 10-16 which is just good enough for dead last in the Florida State League. Some notes from the first month of the season around Digital Domain Park:
- The ST. Lucie pitching staff is last in team ERA (4.92), trailing the next team by a full run
- On the bright side, closer RHP Manny Alvarez has opened the season with 15 1/3 scoreless innings
- Norwich, CT product 3B Eric Campbell is in the midst of a 9-game hitting streak (hitting .469 in that span)
- LF Sean Ratliff sees your 9 gamer and raises a 13-game hit streak (batting .346 in that span)
- The talented RHP Kyle Allen seems to be carrying over his control issues from last season (22.2 IP, 18 BB)