For all you night crawlers out there, here's today's prospect report. Sorry about the tardiness but on Mother's Day, mom comes first.
New York Mets Daily Farm System Report - For the afternoon of Saturday, May 8 2010
The Usual Suspects
AAA - Buffalo
- Fernando Martinez: No AB's (defensive replacement in the 9th)
- Ruben Tejada: 1-2, RBI, BB
- Josh Thole: 1-3, 2B, RBI, R
- Chris Carter: 1-4
- Mike Hessman: 2-4, 2B, RBI, 2 R, K
- Tobi Stoner: 6 IP, 1 ER, 4 H, 4 BB, 8 K, 0 HR; Nice bounceback after a rough stretch (8.70 ERA over his last 4 starts)
AA - Binghamton
- Kirk Nieuwenhuis: 3-5, 2B, 2 RBI, 3 R, 2 K
- Nick Evans: 2-5, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 R
- Zazk Lutz: 1-2, RBI, BB
- Lucas Duda: 2-3, 2 2B, RBI, 2 R, 2 BB
- Roydrick 'Don't call me Roydrick' Merritt : 2 IP, 0 ER, 3 H, 2 K; Future Feliciano has given up only 6 hits against lefties this year, good for a .158 BAA (.189 Career).
Hi-A - St. Lucie
- Reese Havens: 0-3, K, BB, CS
- Eric Campbell: 2-4, 2B, RBI, R, K
- Sean Ratliff: 0-4, 2 K
- Kyle Allen: 6.1 IP, 2 ER, 3 H, 3 BB, 3 K, 1 HR
Lo-A - Savannah
- Wilmer Flores: 3-4, HR(5), 3B, 2B, 2 RBI, 3 R, K, E(6); Single short of the cycle...that sucks
- Jefry Marte: 1-4, RBI, K, BB, 2 E(10); Main offender in an ugly 5 error, 5 unearned game for the Gnats
- Cesar Puello: 1-5, R, K
- Nick Santomauro: 1-5, 2B, RBI, R, K, E(1); First game of the year for the '09 10th rounder out of Dartmouth
Star of the Night
Lots of worthy candidates tonight but we're gonna go with Binghamton C Mike Nickeas. His 3-5, 3 2B, 3 RBI (pink-sleeved) performance was integral in tying the B-Mets single-game record of 8 doubles in Saturdays 13-5 win over NH. Known more for his defense, Nickeas has gotten off to a hot start (.350/.435/.450) and earned himself primary catcher status, contributing to the seemingly endless descent of Omir Santos. The former Rangers 5th rounder out of baseball powerhouse Ga. Tech was acquired for one Victor Diaz back in 2006. The 26yr old Nickeas is probably no more than a backup catching prospect at this point as he possesses virtually no power and hasn't batted above .217 since the trade.
Goat(s) of the Night: St. Lucie CF Sean Ratliff, whose 0-4 with 2 K's drops him from the penthouse to the outhouse and Savannah's 3B Jefry Marte who might as well be playing without a glove as is 9th and 10th errors of the season led to 3 unearned runs.