The legend of R.A. Dickey continues to, erm, grow. Dickey shut down the AL's third-best offense (by OPS), limiting the Tigers to just four hits and two walks over eight innings. Not content to dominate merely with his arm, Dickey also chipped in a seventh-inning walk and came around to score on Ike Davis's two-run double.
Dickey threw just 97 pitches in his eight innings, but was lifted in the ninth for Francisco Rodriguez, who hadn't worked since Friday night's near-debacle against the Yankees.
Jose Reyes went 3-for-4 and hit his sixth triple and home run of the year and now has a higher slugging percentage than Jason Bay, .434 to .423. His OPS is up to .761, good for fourth among National League shortstops.
This and that.
- Angel Pagan seemed to tweak something after fouling off a pitch in the fifth inning. He was removed from the game for pinch hitter Jesus Feliciano in the seventh. The injury has been deemed a muscle spasm and Pagan's prognosis for return is day-to-day.
- Dickey coaxed just six swinging strikes out of Tigers batters -- 6.2% of his pitches -- far fewer than his season mark of 10.9%, which is among the highest in baseball. Tim Lincecum leads the majors with a 11.9% swinging strike rate.
- Jeff Francoeur smiled through another 0-for-4 night. His .318 wOBA is 24th among 26 qualified right fielders.
- Incredibly, Henry Blanco saw just five pitches in his four at-bats. Blanco doesn't have time to sit around waiting for something special; he's got shit to do.
Poem by Howard Megdal
On day that saw Seinfeld make trip to the booth
Dickey makes case that his dominance is truth
Reyes' cycle bid missed only a double
This team, plus Beltran, could give NL trouble
SB Nation Coverage
* Traditional Recap
* Amazin' Avenue Gamethread
* Bless You Boys Gamethread
Win Probability Added
Big winners: R.A. Dickey, +42.4% WPA, Jose Reyes, +21.2% WPA
Big losers: Jason Bay, -5.8% WPA, Jeff Francoeur, -4.5% WPA
Teh aw3s0mest play: Wright RBI double in third, +13.4% WPA
Teh sux0rest play: Wright ground out (with runner on third) in first, -5.8% WPA
Total pitcher WPA: +43.0% WPA
Total batter WPA: +7.0% WPA
GWRBI!: David Wright
Game Thread Roll Call
Nice job by astromets; his effort in the game thread embiggens us all.
|Num||Name||# of Posts|