New York Mets Daily Farm System Report - 4/12
Before we get started today I wanted to use this opportunity to introduce the rest of the crew who will be joining me in conducting the farm system reports for 2011. As usual, we were able to pluck from our highly-talented readership to bring aboard three new hands; that's twice as many authors as last year but especially come short-season ball it's needed.
So please help me in welcoming Steve Schmidt (aka Schmidtxc), Jeff Paternostro (aka TeufelCat) and Pack Bringley (aka letsgocyclones). Welcome aboard guys!
*All results from games played on Monday, April 11th 2011
AAA - Buffalo Bisons (2-3)_______________________________________
PAWTUCKET 15, BUFFALO 1 (Box) And you thought the Mets had an ugly game last night? Starter LHP Casey Fossum allowed seven earned. First-responder RHP Dylan Owen surrendered a 3-run bomb to the first man he faced. The defense made four errors. The first four spots in the lineup went a combined 0-for-16 and the club went 0-for-8 with RISP as a whole. Just move on.
- DH Fernando Martinez: 1-3, BB, K; Keep those walks coming
- CF Kirk Nieuwenhuis: 1-3, 2B, R, BB; Ditto
- 1B Nick Evans: 0-4, K, E(1)
- 3B Zach Lutz: 2-3, 2 2B, BB
- LR Lucas Duda: 0-4, K, E(1); 2010 Bisons MVP makes his not-so-triumphant return
- 2B Justin Turner: 0-4, E(2)
- SS Ruben Tejada: 1-4
- RHP Manny Alvarez: 1 IP, 1 ER, 1 H, 1 BB, 1 K, WP; After scuffling in ST, he's really having trouble out of the gates in 2011 which couldn't be more unlike his 2010
- INJURY UPDATE - After leaving the game early on Saturday, RHP Boof Bonser was placed on the DL with a right forearm strain.
AA - Binghamton Mets (2-3)_____________________________________
BINGHAMTON 3, ERIE 7 (Box) LF Brahiam Maldonado and C Kai Gronauer both homered in this one but it wasn't enough as the Bingo pitching staff -- like the rest of the pitching in the system -- was pretty terrible last night. 2010 SAL All-Star RHP Brandon Moore found that rare combination of wildness and hittability while LHP Eric Niesen took a step back after a strong debut performance last weekend.
- SS Jordany Valdespin: 0-3, BB, SB; Like FMart, I'm consoled by this walk and after getting caught 12 times in 29 attempts in 2010, he's now 4-for-4 on the basepaths
- 3B Eric Campbell: 1-4, R, K
- 1B Josh Satin: 0-3, BB, K; Three positions in four days for Satin
- C Kai Gronauer: 1-3, HR(1), K
- RHP Brandon Moore: 4.2 IP, 3 ER, 4 H, 2 BB, 4 K, 2 HR, WP, HB, Balk; Erratic as it gets in this one
- LHP Eric Niesen: L, .1 IP, 3 ER, 2 H, 1 BB, 0 K; 0-for-2 against lefties, not a good sign for a guy trying to rebound from a rough 2010
- LHP Roy Merritt: 0 IP, 0 ER, 1 H, 1 BB, 0 K; 0-for-1 against lefty
- INJURY UPDATE - After getting off to a slow start, newcomer 1B Allan Dykstra was placed on the 7-day DL with a left ankle sprain. The versatile IF Michael Fisher was added to the B-Mets roster to replace him.
Hi-A St. Lucie Mets (4-1)________________________________________
ST. LUCIE 8, NEW BRITAIN 4 (Box) Though starter RHP Collin McHugh put a lot of men on, the groundball was his friend as he induced two DP's on his way to a 'W' over five solid innings. I'll also give some credit to this typicaly impatient lineup for taking nine walks though I think most of the credit goes to Twins 2010 first rounder Alex Wimmers who was wild tonight, issuing six of those walks and unleashing three wild pitches. Five different Mets drove in runs in this one and when you tack on two more sterling innings of relief by RHP Eric Beaulac this one wasn't close.
- SS Wilmer Flores: 1-3, RBI, R, 2 BB;
- RF Cesar Puello: 1-4, RBI, R, BB, K, SB(2)
- CF Matt den Dekker: 1-5, 2B, 3 R, BB, K
- 3B Jefry Marte: 2-4, 2B, 2 R, BB, K, SB(1)
- DH Juan Lagares: 0-4, RBI, BB, K; Walks were contagious tonight
- RHP Collin McHugh: W, 5 IP, 2 ER, 6 H, 3 BB, 1 K, HB; End justified the means
- RHP Eric Beaulac: 2 IP, 0 ER, 1 H, 0 BB, 2 K
Lo-A Savannah Sand Gnats (1-3)__________________________________
SAVANNAH 1, HICKORY 9 (Box) With only 555 in attendance the Gnats were crushed in this one. RF Javier Rodriguez' second homer was the only extra-base hit for the lineup. And on the mound two good pitchers -- RHP Erik Goeddel and LHP Angel Cuan -- were beaten up a bit. Goeddel didn't quite live up to the first pro starts of fellow 2010 draftees Peavey and Harvey.
- 3B Aderlin Rodriguez: 0-3, 3 K; Ouch
- CF Darrell Ceciliani: 0-2, 2 BB, K, SB(1); Maintaining the trend of walks from unlikely candidates
- RF Cory Vaughn: 0-4, 2 K
- C Albert Cordero: DNP
- 2B Wilfredo Tovar: 1-3, K, SB(1), E(1)
- SS Robbie Shields: 0-3, BB
- DH Javier Rodriguez: 1-4, HR(2), K
- C Blake Forsythe: 0-4, 2 K, PB
- RHP Erik Goeddel: L, 4 IP, 4 ER, 6 H, 0 BB, 4 K, 1 HR
- LHP Angel Cuan: 3.2 IP, 5 ER, 7 H, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 2 HB
★ Star of the Night ★