That's right, after a long and lonely winter the AA Daily Farm System Report is back! It's been an exciting offseason for the Mets minor league system to say the least, so I'm really looking forward to once again bringing you guys all of the daily ongoings and countless storylines that reside in Buffalo and Binghamton and St. Lucie and beyond.
Now in the spirit of continuous improvement, you'll likely notice some slight changes from the 2010 version. First and foremost, Alex has stepped aside to enjoy his semi-retirement from blogging. But not to worry, instead of me becoming a full-fledged insomniac we'll be bringing aboard some new recruits to help pick up the slack; intros coming in the next couple days.
Nothing else too significant to report, just some minor tweaks to streamline things a bit, perhaps we'll try some new features from time to time. Expect to see the Prospect Spotlight segment more regularly for one. Ok I've yammered on long enough so without any further ado, let's rip the seal off 2011 and get to the scores:
*All results from games played on Thursday, April 7th 2011
AAA - Buffalo Bisons (0-1)_______________________________________
SYRACUSE 8, BUFFALO 5 (Box) RHP Dillon Gee was perfect through three when the wheels came off in a four-run fourth from which he could not recover. He didn't exactly pound the zone tonight and it got bad when he walked the opposing pitcher. The talented Bisons offense fought back with a four-run frame of their own -- including a bases-clearing triple by SS Ruben Tejada -- but it proved futile as the Syracuse 'pen provided 4+ innings of scoreless, two-hit relief work to close it out.
- RF Fernando Martinez: 4-5, 2B, R, K; Continuing his tremendous spring at the dish
- CF Kirk Nieuwenhuis: 1-4, HR(1), RBI, 2 R, BB, K; Off Nats kind-of prospect Yuniesky Maya, the Capt. isn't wasting any time battling FMart for the first-string reserve OF role
- 1B Nick Evans: 1-5, 2 K
- 3B Zach Lutz: 1-4, RBI, R
- 2B Justin Turner: 1-4, R, HBP
- SS Ruben Tejada: 2-3, 3B, 3 RBI, BB, E(1)
- RHP Dillon Gee: L, 4.2 IP, 5 ER (2 unearned), 4 H, 3 BB, 3 K, 1 HR; Not a good night for Gee who threw only 50 of 82 for strikes and continued his tendency towards longballs
- RHP Jose De La Torre: 1.1 IP, 0 ER (1 unearned), 1 H, 1 BB, 0 K
- LHP Mike O'Connor: 2 IP, 0 ER, 1 H, 0 BB, 2 K; Didn't face any lefties
- For the record, RHP Manny Acosta officially cleared waivers yesterday and, along with IF Luis Hernandez, will be reporting to Buffalo in the next week or so
AA - Binghamton Mets (1-0)_____________________________________
BINGHAMTON 1, AKRON 0 (Box) The first of three shutout victories in the system, RHP Josh Stinson led the way with five masterful innings, allowing just two hits and no runs. Rule 5 draftee RHP Ricky Brooks, LHP Roy Merritt and RHP John Lujan combined for four innings of scoreless relief while newcomer CF Lorenzo Scott scored the only run of the game on a wild pitch in the third.
SS Jordany Valdespin: 0-4, K
LF Eric Campbell: 0-3, BB
2B Josh Satin: 1-3, BB, 2 K; He'll cover 2B until Havens arrives
C Kai Gronauer: 0-3, 2 K
1B Allan Dykstra: 0-2, BB, K, E(1)
- RHP Josh Stinson: W, 5 IP, 0 ER, 2 H, 1 BB, 3 K; Looks like they want to keep him as a starter for now, tremendous 9-3 GB:FB from the sinkerballer
- LHP Roy Merritt: .2 IP, 0 ER, 2 H, 0 BB, 1 K; 0-for-2 against the lefties
- LHP Eric Niesen will miss the first three games of the season serving a suspension handed out late last season for a pitch thrown behind a batter that led to a bench-clearing brawl
- Grady Sizemore went 1-for-3 with a single in this one while former bullpen favorite Joe Smith pitched an inning of scoreless relief
Hi-A St. Lucie Mets (1-0)_____________________________________
PALM BEACH 0, ST. LUCIE 1 (Box) In his pro debut RHP Matt Harvey didn't disappoint in this high profile pitcher's duel against Cards top prospect and fellow flame-throwing righty Shelby Miller. Tremendously pitched game all around as both starters were masterful, striking out nine apiece and not allowing an extra-base hit between them; but it was an unearned run -- scoring on an RBI groundout by 1B Stefan Welch -- that tipped the scales in Harvey's favor.
- SS Wilmer Flores: 1-4, 2 K
- RF Cesar Puello: 1-4, K
- CF Matt den Dekker: 2-4, R, K; Also had an assist, gunning a man at 3B trying to extend a double
- 3B Jefry Marte: 0-2, K
- LF Juan Lagares: 0-3, K
- 2B Rylan Sandoval: 0-3, K; Interested to see what the 2010 Cyclones star can do at the higher levels
- DH Francisco Pena: 0-2, BB, SB(1); Yes he stole a base, must have been a pitch in the dirt
- RHP Matt Harvey: W, 5 IP, 0 ER, 5 H, 2 BB, 9 K; Made some interesting comments after the game
- RHP Eric Beaulac: 2 IP, 0 ER, 0 H, 0 BB, 2 K
Lo-A - Savannah Sand Gnats (1-0)___________________________________
SAVANNAH 8, WEST VIRGINIA 0 (Box) Fellow 2010 draftee RHP Greg Peavey followed Matt Harvey's lead and had one hell of a pro debut. But unlike Harvey, Peavey didn't face off against a future ace so his offense was in full swing behind him featuring big nights all around including bombs from CF Darrell Ceciliani and RF Javier Rodriguez. West Virginia's four errors didn't hurt either. Credit the Gnats 'pen for four scoreless, hitless innings; Mets pitching certainly ruled the day on Opening Night.
3B Aderlin Rodriguez: 1-5, 2B, RBI, R
CF Darrell Ceciliani: 2-5, 2B, HR(1), 2 R, 2 RBI; Picked up right where he left off
LF Cory Vaughn: 2-3, 2 RBI, 2 R, BB, HBP
RF Javier Rodriguez: 1-5, HR(1), K
C Albert Cordero: 0-5, 3K
2B Wilfredo Tovar: 0-5; Rough night for two of the youngest Gnats
SS Robbie Shields: 1-4, 2B, R, K; Interesting that he pushed Tovar off short, probably because org. feels Wilfredo has little left to learn there
- 2B Alonzo Harris: 2-3, 2 R, SB(1), HBP
RHP Greg Peavey: W, 5 IP, 0 ER, 2 H, 1 BB, 8 K; Harvey who?
RHP Ronny Morla: 3 IP, 0 ER, 0 H, 3 K; Nice debut by the intriguing Rule 5 selection from the Cubs
★ Star of the Night ★