New York Mets Daily Farm System Report - 5/2/11
*All results from games played on Sunday, May 1st 2011
AAA - Buffalo Bisons (10-15)_______________________________________
BUFFALO 2, LEHIGH VALLEY 7 (Box) Starter RHP Chris Schwinden's surprisingly good run with the Bisons was going strong last night as he entered the sixth, having allowed only a single hit and no runs. And then the wheels came off as a couple of walks, a single and a homer spoiled things and suddenly Buffalo's early lead became a five-run deficit. Despite four multi-hit efforts -- including a four-hit game from the Captain -- the Herd lineup resembled the big club last night, leaving 12 men on-base.
- RF Fernando Martinez: 0-4, 3 K (.267/.353/.400) 0 for his last 11 with six K's
- DH Kirk Nieuwenhuis: 4-5, 3B, RBI, R, K, CS(1) (.330/.438/.591)
- 3B Nick Evans: 2-3, 2 BB (.218/.239/.379); That brings his walk total to 3 on the year
- LF Lucas Duda: 2-4, RBI, BB (.229/.337/.371)
- SS Ruben Tejada: 0-4, BB, K (.263/.327/.400) 1 for his last 13
- RHP Chris Schwinden: L, 5.1 IP, 4 ER, 3 H, 3 BB, 3 K, 1 HR (1-1, 2.57 ERA, 21 IP, 14 H, 9 BB, 20 K, 1 HR)
- RHP Jose De La Torre: .2 IP, 0 ER, 1 H, 1 BB, 1 K (2-0, 0.73 ERA, 12.1 IP, 10 H, 5 BB, 10 K, 0 HR)
- ROSTER UPDATE - With the activation of Ronny Paulino to the big club, C Mike Nickeas was optioned back down to Buffalo. To make space IF Jon Malo was sent back to extended ST.
AA - Binghamton Mets (7-12)_____________________________________
AKRON 10, BINGHAMTON 1 (Box) For the second time in three nights the B-Mets lost at home by the score of ten to one. Last time, Manager Wally Backman responded by calling his team out, stating that 'the players should be embarrassed.' Do we even want to know how we reacted this time? Well either way, the culprit was LHP Mark Cohoon who could not carry over his early season success into May as he was hit very hard, allowing 12 baserunners over five innings and surrendering a couple of bombs.
- SS Jordany Valdespin: 2-4, 2B, K, 2 E(8) (.236/.291/.347); Between Double and Triple-A Mets shortstops have made 15 errors, and what's worse these guys (Tejada and Valdespin) are both considered serious prospects
- DH Eric Campbell: 0-3, BB, K (.217/.316/.246) Still only 2 XBH's on the season
- 1B Josh Satin: 1-2, 2B, R, 2 BB (.324/.442/.479)
- C Kai Gronauer: 0-3 (.213/.315/.277) And the best headshot photo in the system goes to...
- DH Allan Dykstra: 0-4, 3 K (.250/.359/.438)
- LHP Mark Cohoon: L, 5 IP, 5 ER, 9 H, 3 BB, 1 K, 2 HR, 1 Pickoff (1-2, 2.70 ERA, 30 IP, 31 H, 8 BB, 25 K, 3 HR) ; Still had a nice 9:3 GB-to-FB rate
Hi-A St. Lucie Mets (19-6)________________________________________
JUPITER 10, ST. LUCIE 4 (Box) Starter RHP Collin McHugh rebounded after being beaten up in his last outing but his bullpen didn't follow suit as RHP John Church and LHP Chris Hilliard -- in his first appearance since his solid 2010 with the Cyclones -- allowed three earned runs apiece to put win no. 20 out of reach. On the bright side, 3B Jefry Marte continued his early season breakout with his fifth bomb of 2011.
- SS Wilmer Flores: 0-5, R (.306/.339/.388)
- RF Cesar Puello: 1-4, BB, K, E(2) (.242/.290/.303)
- CF Matt den Dekker: 1-4, R, BB, K; Hit streak at 1 (.371/.398/.598)
- 3B Jefry Marte: 1-4, HR(5), 2 RBI, R, 2 K (.318/.390/.545)
- PH Juan Lagares: 0-1 (.258/.310/.364)
- C Francisco Pena: Defensive Sub. (.300/.340/.360)
- LF Pedro Zapata: 1-4, 2 K, E(1) (.343/.380/.433)
- 2B Rylan Sandoval: 0-4 (.167/.203/.288) We have a challenger in the headshot competition
Lo-A Savannah Sand Gnats (9-14)__________________________________
SAVANNAH 3, LAKEWOOD 2 (Box) When starter RHP Yohan Almonte left after just two innings the Gnats bullpen stepped up, especially RHP Luis Rojas who gave Savannah four shutout innings of relief. The lineup wasn't on fire against Mets unsigned '09 sixth rounder and current Phillies prospect David Buchanan but continued hot streaks by RF Cory Vaughn, 2B Wilfredo Tovar and 3B Aderlin Rodriguez pushed them ahead for good.
- 3B Aderlin Rodriguez: 1-4, 2B, R, 2 K, 2 E(4) (.211/.237/.444); Hit streak at 8
- RF Cory Vaughn: 2-4, RBI, R, CS(1) (.313/.417/.438)
- C Albert Cordero: DNP (.233/.242/.317)
- 2B Wilfredo Tovar: 1-4, 2B, R (.284/.333/.358)
- SS Robbie Shields: 1-3, 3B, BB (.240/.356/.427)
- RF Javier Rodriguez: 0-3, 3 K, OF Assist (.211/.282/.408)
- C Blake Forsythe: 0-2, RBI, K (.177/.235/.387)
- RHP Yohan Almonte: 2 IP, 1 ER, 2 H, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, HB (2-1, 4.32 ERA, 25 IP, 20 H, 4 BB, 17 K, 5 HR)
- LHP Josh Edgin: 2 IP, 0 ER, 1 H, 0 BB, 2 K (0-0, 3.24 ERA, 8.1 IP, 9 H, 6 BB, 12 K, 0 HR)
- INJURY UPDATE - After a mild hamstring strain, there is speculation that OF Darrell Ceciliani will be ready to re-join the club after they return home from their current road trip later this week.
Star of the Night
Captain Kirk would be the easy choice here after his 4-for-5 effort but no Mets player had a bigger hand in a victory last night than Savannah reliever RHP Luis Rojas who gave the Gnats four shutout innings after starter Almonte's early exit.
Goat of the Night