*All results from games played on May 2nd, 2011
Send all of your questions about the Mets farm system to AAProspectMailbag@gmail.com!
AAA - Buffalo Bisons (11-15)_______________________________________
BUFFALO 6, LEHIGH VALLEY 4 (Box) Bisons win it in the bottom of the tenth despite ground bunting into a 3-6-4 double play. The next two batters walked and homered, and credit Russ Adams who is 31, hitting .183, and hero for a night. Incredibly, Russ is now 3-3 with 3 HRs against LeHigh pitcher "No" Chance Chapman. Mejia's hurt, but your Buffalo Bisons approach the Big Club's golden 12 wins.
- CF Kirk Nieuwenhuis: 1-4, 2 R, 2B, RBI, BB, 2 K, gunned a man down at 2B
- 3B-LF Nick Evans: 2-4, BB, SB(1); utility Nick trying out all different things
- LF-RF-LF Lucas Duda: 3-4, R, HR (3), 3 RBI, BB
- SS Ruben Tejada: 2-5, R, 2 H, 2 K
- 2B Luis Hernandez: 0-4, K
- RHP Josh Stinson: 5.2 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 1 K; 8 walks, 6 Ks, 6.43 ERA so far in AAA
- RHP Manny Acosta: 1.2 IP, H, BB, 2 K
- LHP Mike O'Connor: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
AA - Binghamton Mets (8-12)_____________________________________
ERIE 2, BINGO 5 (Box) Two days since Wally barked at his club and the team responds. Brad Holt -- hot and cold this year -- gave up a home run to his first man, but the B-Mets clawed back, then back again, then tacked on runs in a game to make any raging manager proud. And Holt was good Holt. Credit Jordany Valdespin with fine batting (3-5), fielding (two DPs), and baserunning (stealing 3rd). Almost Michael Jordany.
- SS Jordany Valdespin: 3-5, SB(7)
- 3B-1B Eric Campbell: 0-3, BB, K
- 2B Josh Satin: 2-4, R, RBI, BB, K
- C Kai Gronauer: 0-1, R, RBI
- 1B Allan Dykstra: 0-3, R
- RHP Brad Holt: 7 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 HR
Hi-A St. Lucie Mets (19-7)________________________________________
JUPITER 7, ST. LUCIE 5 (Box) Thirty-two hits in this game, nine pitchers, twelve innings, and a somewhat pedestrian final score (considering) of 7-5. In the bottom of the 12th, the Mets loaded 'em up with one out and down two. Another opportunity to show that 'ol St. Luc' juice. But Stefan Welch and Matty Bouchard -- who once made out with a friend of my friend -- both struck out swinging. Sounded like a fun one.
- DH Wilmer Flores: 1-6, RBI; "that guy couldn't DH on my son's little league team, brrffkkskss!"
- RF Cesar Puello: 3-6, 2 R, 2B, K, gunned down a man at 2B
- CF Matt den Dekker: 2-5, R, 3B, RBI, BB, forced a DP on a throw to 3B
- 3B Jefry Marte: 2-5, 2 R, 2B, RBI
- LF Juan Lagares: 1-4, 2 RBI, K, E(1)
- 2B Rylan Sandoval: 2-5, 2 K
- C Francisco Pena: 1-5, K
- LF Juan Lagares: 1-4, 2 RBI, K
- LHP Darin Gorksi: 4 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 6 K, HR
Lo-A Savannah Sand Gnats (10-14)__________________________________
SAVANNAH 3, LAKEWOOD 1 (Box) Awesome performance from right-hander Erik Goeddel:
1ST K K K --- 2ND L8, K, 1B, F8 -- 3RD 1B, 1B, BB, K, 4-6-3 -- 4TH F3, K, K -- 5TH -- F4, L4, K -- 6TH 3U, K, E6, 4U
- 3B Aderlin Rodriguez: 1-4, R
- LF Cory Vaughn: 1-4, R, 2B, 2K
- DH Albert Cordero: 0-4
- 2B Wilfredo Tovar: 0-5
- SS Robbie Shields: 1-3, 2B, BB, K, 3 E(4); youch... throwing, fielding, fielding
- RF Javier Rodriguez: 1-4, R, HR, RBI, K
- C Blake Forsythe: 2-4, 2B, RBI, 2K, E(2), PB
- RHP Erik Goeddel: 6 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 9 K
- LHP Angel Cuan: 2 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
★ Star of the Night ★
A lot of great games: Duda, Valdespin, Puello, Den Dekker, but you have to give it to the 9 Ks in 6 IP, right? I recall somebody yelling at us for picking pitchers too often, but those guys matter (and, um, these "awards" don't). Anyway, the Mets went overslot in last year's draft to pick up UCLA righty Erik Goededel, and Alex has a lot of good stuff to say about him. In his first full year of pro ball, the 23-year-old has struck out a bushel (28) in 24 innings, while walking 9. If not him, Duda.