New York Mets Daily Farm System Report - 5/30
*All results from games played on Sunday, May 29th 2011
AAA - Buffalo Bisons (23-28)_______________________________________
Game 1: GWINNETT 3, BUFFALO 5 (Box) Despite a rocky first couple innings, starter RHP Brian Sweeney managed to pitch well enough to keep the Herd in this one. That is, long enough for 1B Val Pascucci to be the hero of the day, (despite two errors in the game, three on the day) by crushing a grand slam in the fourth. That would prove to be more than enough after RHP Bobby Parnell came in dealing and locked this game down.
- CF Kirk Nieuwenhuis: DNP
- RF Fernando Martinez: 0-0, RBI; Pinch hit sac fly in the fifth
- LF Lucas Duda: 0-2, R, 2 K, HBP
- C Mike Nickeas: 1-2, 2B, R, BB
- RHP Bobby Parnell: S(1), 2 IP, 0 ER, 0 H, 0 BB, 3 K; Parnell lived in the high 90's all day, maxing out at 99mph, Manager Tim Teufel stated, 'That's the best I've seen his stuff all year.'
AA - Binghamton Mets (15-31)_____________________________________
ALTOONA 1, BINGHAMTON 4 (Box) A nice bounceback appearance from starter RHP Brandon Moore continued the organization's strong run of pitching yesterday. Allowing just one run over six, Moore also got back to his characteristically high K-rates with six strikeouts. A first inning two-run blast from all-or-nothing slugger LF Brahiam Maldonado put the B-Mets ahead for good.
- 2B Reese Havens: 1-4
- SS Jordany Valdespin: 1-4, RBI, K; First game back in the starting lineup after missing about a week with hamstring tightness
- RF-1B Eric Campbell: 1-3, K
- 3B Josh Satin: 0-3, R, BB, K
- 1B Allan Dykstra: 0-3
- RHP Brandon Moore: W, 6 IP, 1 ER, 4 H, 2 BB, 6 K, HB; After three straight stinkers where he allowed 6 or more runs, Moore bounced back nicely in this one
- ROSTER UPDATE - RHP Collin McHugh was promoted from St. Lucie to take Cohoon's place in the B-Mets rotation. After a solid 2010 with Savannah, the 24-year old righty has struggled a bit with St. Lucie, posting a 6.31 ERA over nine games (six starts).
Hi-A St. Lucie Mets (28-23)________________________________________
DUNEDIN 12, ST. LUCIE 1 (Box) This is where the strong pitching ended as RHP Scott Moviel was hit all over the place, allowing eight runs, nine hits and two walks in just 3.1 IP. First responder RHP Ronny Morla did him one better allowing four more runs without registering an out. Down by 12 by the fourth, the offense never really got anything going in this one. On the bright side hard-throwing RHP Nick Carr continued to look great out of the St. Lucie 'pen with two more scoreless and more importantly just one walk.
- SS Wilmer Flores: 1-4, 2B, K; .231 over his last ten but also slugging .436 in that span
- RF Cesar Puello: 0-4, K
- CF Matt den Dekker: 2-4, R, 2 K
- 3B Jefry Marte: 1-4, RBI, K
- RF Juan Lagares: 1-3, 3B, BB; Batting .378 with a .924 OPS over his last ten
- 2B Rylan Sandoval: 0-3, K, E(4)
- C Dock Doyle: 0-3; First Dock sighting of 2011
Lo-A Savannah Sand Gnats (26-23)__________________________________
CHARLESTON 3, SAVANNAH 4 (Box) The Sand Gnats picked up on the strong pitching tossing three strong lefties in this one. LHP Chase Huchingson continued his Darin Gorski impression, limiting the walks and proving extremely tough to hit with six more K's. LHP Angel Cuan scuffled a bit but LHP Josh Edgin picked him up as he continued his torrid May.
- 3B Aderlin Rodriguez: 0-4, 2 K
- CF Darrell Ceciliani: 0-4, R, K
- RF Cory Vaughn: 2-4, K, SB(7)
- 2B Wilfredo Tovar: 0-3
- SS Robbie Shields: 1-4, K
- C Albert Cordero: 1-3, RBI, K
- DH Blake Forsythe: 0-3, R, BB, 2 K
- LHP Chase Huchingson: 5 IP, 1 ER, 5 H, 1 BB, 6 K, WP; Sterling 5:0 GB-to-FB rate
- LHP Angel Cuan: W, 2.2 IP, 2 ER, 5 H, 0 BB, 5 K
- LHP Josh Edgin: S(8), 1.1 IP, 0 ER, 1 H, 0 BB, 2 K; The impressive lefty hasn't allowed a run in May and has given up just 5 hits over those 15 innings
- INJURY UPDATE - Bad news everyone as the impressive RHP Erik Goeddel hit the DL with a right shoulder strain. For a guy that has struggled with health problems in the past, this isn't a great sign so expect the Mets to take their time with him. 2010 11th rounder LHP Adam Kolarek will come out of the bullpen to replace him in the rotation.
★ Star of the Night ★
Let's split today's honors. Bingo's Brandon Moore deserves some recognition for six very strong innings after his recent bumpy stretch. However, in this organization a grand slam is a precious thing so Buffalo's Val Pascucci earned some street cred as well.