*All results from games played on Saturday, July 21st
Check out the 2012 Amazin' Avenue Pre-Season Top 50 Mets Prospects! And send all of your questions about the Mets farm system to AAProspectMailbag@gmail.com to see them answered here!
AAA - Buffalo Bisons (51-50)_______________________________________
CHARLOTTE 11, BUFFALO 0 (Box)
For the second straight night, the Bisons were two-hit by the Knights. The worse news is potential Thursday starter Matt Harvey was tagged for six runs in his five innings of work and had shaky fastball command throughout his 96 pitch outing. After getting two strikes on Dan Johnson and Conor Jackson in the third, he walked both and then hung a curve to Dallas McPherson who, as it turns out, can still park those. Harvey gave up a second home run in the fourth on a thigh high fastball over the middle of the plate. Fastball was 94-96 touching 98 and he flashed a good change and curve in the later innings of his start. As for what happens next, I have no idea. The tools for MLB success are there, but he's going to live and die with his fastball command. As for the Buffalo offense, well we'll just move along.
- CF Matt Den Dekker: 0-3, K; Looked a little lost against Charlotte's southpaw starter.
- 3B Zach Lutz: 0-4, 3 K; Ouchie
- DH Josh Satin: 1-3, 2B, BB, K, SB (2) (.296/.407/.454)
- RHP Matt Harvey: L, 5 IP, 6 ER, 7 H, 2 BB, 6 K, 2 HR, HBP; It wasn't pretty, but there's really nothing Batista does right now that Harvey doesn't do better. Glad it's not my decision to make, though.
AA - Binghamton Mets (46-53)_____________________________________
BOWIE 7, BINGHAMTON 5 (Box)
Gonzalez Germen made it through exactly one inning, a four-run first for the Baysox, and Armando Rodriguez wasn't much help in long relief. The B-Mets made it interesting, but couldn't climb all the way out of a 7-2 hole. Binghamton has now lost 5 of 6.
- CF Juan Lagares: 2-5, 2 RBI, K
- 1B Jefry Marte: 0-4, R, 2 K
- 2B Reese Havens: 0-3, 2 BB, 2 K
- 3B Wilmer Flores: 1-5, 2B, 2 RBI, K
- SS Wilfredo Tovar: 2-4
- C Juan Centeno: 1-3, R, BB
- RHP Armando Rodriguez: 3 IP, 3 ER, 4 H, 3 BB, 3 K
Hi-A - St. Lucie Mets (11-18 // 60-37)________________________________________
St. Lucie and Dunedin's game was suspended after four innings with the Mets leading 6-2. It will be finished up today before their scheduled contest.
Lo-A - Savannah Sand Gnats (12-17 // 53-43)__________________________________
SAVANNAH 7, ROME 0 (Box)
Having Rome come to town is a good way to get your staff healthy. The day after Alex Panteliodis K'd 10 Braves, Jim Fuller spun six one-hit innings. This time the bats had their moundsman's back though, as Savannah pounded out 13 hits on their way to a laugher. No one's running away with the South Division this half, so if the Gnats can figure out a way to score runs, they can make a run at the second half title.
- DH Cam Maron: 2-5, 2B, R, 2 RBI, 3 K (.294/.373/.397)
- SS Matthew Reynolds: 1-4, RBI (.197/.278/.282)
- CF Gilbert Gomez: 2-4, 2B, 3B, 3 R, BB (.256/.351/.348); Dominican centerfielder is steak tartare at this point, but absolutely worth keeping an eye on.
- LHP Carlos Vasquez: 2 IP, 0 ER, 1 H, 0 BB, 2 K (55 IP, 2.62, 53 K, 18 BB, 36 H, 3 HR); Has struck out more than a third of the lefties he's faced this year.
- CF Brandon Nimmo: 0-3, BB, K (.233/.379/.371)
- SS Philip Evans: 0-4 (.235/.318/.341)
- C Kevin Plawecki: 1-4, 2B (.235/.354/.346)
- RHP Luis Cessa: 5 IP, 1 ER, 3 H, 2 BB, 4 K (30.2 IP, 2.93, 20 K, 10 BB, 28 H, 2 HR)
- RHP Matt Bowman: L, 2 IP, 2 ER, 5 H, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR (10.1 IP, 4.35, 11 K, 1 BB, 10 H, 1 HR); A little too good of an impression of Tim Lincecum last night.
Short Season A - Brooklyn Cyclones (20-13)__________________________________
STATEN ISLAND 3, BROOKLYN 1 (Box)
With their second straight loss to their crosstown rivals, the Cyclones find themselves now tied for first with Hudson Valley in the McNamara division.
Appalachian League (R) - Kingsport Mets (8-20)__________________________________
GREENEVILLE 13, KINGSPORT 4 (Box)
The K-Mets find their winning streak rather abruptly halted at two games.
- SS Gavin Cecchini: 0-4, 2 K (.244/.310/.333)
- 2B Branden Kaupe: 0-3, K (.204/.381/.224)
- RHP John Gant: L, 2.2 IP, 7 ER, 9 H, 2 BB, 1 K, 3 HR, WP, Balk (22.2 IP, 7.94, 20 K, 10 BB, 29 H, 5 HR)
- RHP Matthew Budgell: 0.1 IP, 0 ER, 0 H, 0 BB, 1 K (9.2 IP, 0.93, 6 K, 6 BB, 8 H, 0 HR)
Star of the Night
Last we saw Jim Fuller, he was getting shelled by the Lakewood Blue Claws. This was a nice bounce back start for the lefty as he makes his way back from the shoulder injury that cost him the 2011 season.
Goat of the Night
Gonzalez Germen may not be much of a prospect, but at least he usually gives you innings.