*All results from games played on Friday July 27th
Check out the 2012 Amazin' Avenue Pre-Season Top 50 Mets Prospects! And send all of your questions about the Mets farm system to AAProspectMailbag@gmail.com to see them answered here!
NEWS AND NOTES
Lots of promotions and demotions to go over, courtesy of the @MetsFarmReport twitter account.
LHP Robert Carson was promoted to Buffalo. RHP Gonzalez Germen goes back to Binghamton after his spot start Thursday. LHP Adam Kolarek moves up to Binghamton, and RHP Logan Verrett takes his place in St. Lucie. No big surprises there, as all those promotions are arguably overdue to varying extents.
Also, Adam Rubin is reporting that Zack Wheeler will be promoted to Buffalo soon.
Now let's head to last night's action.
AAA - Buffalo Bisons (52-55)_______________________________________
LOUISVILLE 3, BUFFALO 1 (Box)
Bisons only managed five hits against the Bats, and Dylan Owen gave up a two-run home run to Neftali Soto in the sixth that broke a 1-1 tie. Buffalo has now lost seven of eight as their yo-yo season continues.
- CF Matt Den Dekker: 0-4, K
- 3B Zach Lutz: 1-4, 2 K
- 1B Valentino Pascucci: 0-3, BB, K
- C Mike Nickeas: 0-3, K, E (1)
- RF Lucas Duda: 1-4, R
- LHP Robert Carson: 2 IP, 0 ER, 2 H, 0 BB, 2 K
AA - Binghamton Mets (50-55)_____________________________________
GAME 1: BINGHAMTON 2, PORTLAND 1 (Box)
GAME 2: BINGHAMTON 3, PORTLAND 1 (Box)
Binghamton played two last night to make up Thursday's rainout, and they got a pair of nice outings from Darin Gorski and Cory Mazzoni, who each tossed six innings of one-run ball.
- CF Juan Lagares: 1-3, 3B, R, K // 2-2, 2B; You know, he's like 0-30 in the games I've seen him in, then as soon as he leaves town he starts hitting again.
- 3B Jefry Marte: 1-3, 2B, R // 1-3
- DH Reese Havens: 1-2, RBI, BB, K // DNP
- 1B/DH Allan Dykstra: 0-1, 2 BB, K // 0-3, 2 K
- 2B Wilmer Flores: 1-3, K // 1-2, R, BB, K; Played both games at 2B. Interesting.
- SS Wilfredo Tovar: DNP // 1-3; After seeing him earlier this week, pretty sure he could play an above average major league SS right now.
- C Juan Centeno: 0-2, 2 K // DNP
- C Francisco Pena: DNP // 0-1, BB, HBP
- RHP Cory Mazzoni: W, 6 IP, 1 ER, 4 H, 2 BB, 5 K
- LHP Darin Gorski W, 6 IP, 1 ER, 3 H, 0 BB, 6 K, 1 HR; Kind of figured the home run rate would spike this year, didn't expect the jump in walks, though. But nice start for the GORSKI.
Hi-A - St. Lucie Mets (16-19 // 65-38)________________________________________
ST. LUCIE 6, LAKELAND 5 (Box)
A back and forth affair featuring lead changes galore, the Mets entered the top of the ninth with a 6-4 lead after a two out, two run single off the bat of T.J. Rivera in the sixth. Jack Leatherisch took the mound and promptly got the first two outs. The third one was a little trickier as Leather Rocket gave up a walk, hit the next batter and then gave up a single to cut the lead to 6-5. But with the tying run on third, Leathersich induced a groundout and St. Lucie escaped with their fourth straight win.
- RF Cory Vaughn: 1-3, RBI, BB, 2 K
- CF Travis Taijeron: 0-3, R, BB, K
- DH Danny Muno: 0-4, 2 K
- 3B Aderlin Rodriguez: 1-4, HR (18), R, RBI, K; Second home run in three games extends his hitting streak to five after a slow start in Advanced A.
- LHP Angel Cuan: 5.1 IP, 3 ER, 4 R, 7 H, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 HR
- RHP Taylor Whitenton: W, 1.2 IP, B, 4 K
- LHP Jack Leathersich: SV, 2 IP, 1 ER, 2 H, 2 BB, 1 K, HBP
Lo-A - Savannah Sand Gnats (57-45)__________________________________
ROME 13, SAVANNAH 3 (Box)
- C Cam Maron: 1-5, 2B, R, K
- DH Matthew Reynolds: 1-5
- CF Gilbert Gomez: 1-3, K, 2 BB, CS; 15 walks in his last ten games.
- LHP Jim Fuller: L, 3 IP, 9 ER, 11 R, 10 H, 2 BB, 1 K, 1 HR
- LHP Carlos Vasquez: 1 IP, 2 ER, 4 H, 0 BB, 1 K
- CF Brandon Nimmo: 0-4, 2 K; Struggles against lefties continue. Batting .163/.281/.245 against southpaws this year.
- SS Philip Evans: 0-3, BB, 3 K
- PH Kevin Plawecki: 0-1
- 2B Juan Carlos Gamboa: 1-3, K
- RHP Luis Cessa: L, 5 IP, 1 ER, 6 H, 1 BB, 3 K
- RHP Matt Bowman: 2 IP, 0 ER, 2 H, 0 BB, 2 K; 2012 draftee and Lincecum clone (minus the stuff) has a non-zero chance to be an interesting relief prospect. Though with 3 pitches I wouldn't be shocked if the Mets try him as a starter next year.
Short Season A - Brooklyn Cyclones (23-16)__________________________________
BATAVIA 2, BROOKLYN 0 (Box)
Luis Cessa was outdueled by Batavia starter Joe Cuda, which has to be some sort of pseudonym. The Cyclones managed just a scant three hits and fell a game behind Hudson Valley in the McNamara division.
Appalachian League (R) - Kingsport Mets (11-23)__________________________________
BRISTOL 3, KINGSPORT 1 (Box)
Kingsport only wins doubleheaders.
- SS Gavin Cecchini: 2-4, 3B, RBI
- 2B Branden Kaupe: 0-2, R, K, 2 BB
- LF Joe Tuschak: 0-3, 2 K
- DH Tomas Nido: 0-4, K
Star of the Night
Binghamton got a pair of nice starts from Cory Mazzoni and Darin Gorski, so we have a pair of starts tonight.
Goat of the Night
Jim Fuller's start against Rome last week was smooth sailing as the little lefty twirled six shutout innings. Last night was not quite as good.