*All results from games played on Saturday August 11th
AAA - Buffalo Bisons (58-63)_______________________________________
SCRANTON-WB 5, BUFFALO 1 (Box)
A familiar story in Buffalo, as the Bisons' pen surrendered four runs in the late inning to squander a solid start from Zack Wheeler. Wheeler's second AAA start was much like his first. He retired fifteen in a row at one point, but his control abandoned him as he got deeper into his start. He walked two batters in a row with one out in the sixth, but got a double play grounder to get out of the inning. All told, he threw 54 strikes and 39 balls, which is an okay, but not great strike percentage.
- CF Matt Den Dekker: 2-3, 2B, R, SB (9)
- DH Zach Lutz: 1-4, K
- 1B Josh Satin: 1-4, K E (4)
- C Mike Nickeas: 0-3, K
- RHP Zack Wheeler: 6 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 4 K
AA - Binghamton Mets (58-62)_____________________________________
HARRISBURG 5, BINGHAMTON 4 (Box)
More bullpen follies in Pennsylvania, as the B-Mets fell victim to a walk-off infield hit against the Senators. I suppose it's not all on the pen, as a throwing error from Wilmer Flores allowed the winning run to come around and score, but the game-tying home run Brandon Moore allowed in the eighth is definitely on the bullpen. Flores would normally be a strong candidate for goat of the night, but he went 3-5 on the evening, and let's face it, is not really a second baseman. Binghamton scored four runs in the first two innings, but their bats went quiet after that.
- 3B Jefry Marte: 1-4, RBI, K
- 1B Allan Dykstra: 1-3, R, BB, 2 K
- 2B Wilmer Flores: 3-5, 2B, R, K, E (3)
- SS Wilfredo Tovar: 0-3, RBI; Just a .567 OPS in 40 games at AA
- RHP Armando Rodriguez: 4 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HR
Hi-A - St. Lucie Mets (25-24 // 74-43)________________________________________
ST. LUCIE 3, FORT MYERS 0 (Box)
Jacob DeGrom's Advanced A debut went swimmingly, as the righthander tossed seven one-hit innings and struck out eight. The win moved St. Lucie to one game over .500 in the second half and into a tie with Bradenton for first place in the division. The Mets don't see Bradenton again until the last three games of the season for what could be a very important series. Of course, if St. Lucie keeps up this pace, they could have the division locked up well before then.
- RF Cesar Puello: 0-3, K; That would be his 48th strikeout against just five walks.
- LF Cory Vaughn: 1-4, 2B, K
- 2B-SS Danny Muno: 1-3, 2B, R, BB
- C Blake Forsythe: 0-3, 2 RBI, K
- RHP Jacob DeGrom: W, 7 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 3 BB, 8 K; Unlike Pill and Verrett, I think the stuff is good enough that he should maintain his peripherals as a starter through AA at least.
Lo-A - Savannah Sand Gnats (21-27 // 62-53)__________________________________
Savannah's contest with Greenville was rained out. It will not be made up.
- CF Brandon Nimmo: 2-4, 2B, 2 R, BB, K; Short season #s mean pretty much nothing, but I still didn't expect Nimmo to have this much success at the level.
- SS Philip Evans: 2-3, R, RBI, BB, K
- C Kevin Plawecki: 2-3, HR (4), R, 2 RBI, BB
- 2B Juan Carlos Gamboa: 0-4, K
- RHP Julian Hilario: W, 5 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 K
- RHP Matt Koch: 1 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
Short Season A - Brooklyn Cyclones (33-20)__________________________________
BROOKLYN 6, VERMONT 3 (Box)
Brandon Nimmo returned to the Cyclones' line-up after missing most of the week as a precaution after getting plunked last weekend. He quickly got back into the swing of things and was one of four Brooklynites with multi-hit games. Starter Julian Hilario threw five solid innings, and despite a hiccup from Matthew Koch, the bullpen took it home from there. You might recognize the name of the Lake Monsters' starter. Yep, that is the same Michael Ynoa that got $5,000,000+ from the A's as a 18 year old in 2008. TINSAAPP, you guys.
Appalachian League (R) - Kingsport Mets (-)__________________________________
DANVILLE 9, KINGSPORT 4 (Box)
Kingsport needs more rainouts.
Star of the Night
Jacob DeGrom says "Why didn't you promote me sooner?" with a great start in Fort Myers.
Goat of the Night
The Buffalo bullpen says "Help is not on the way," again.