What if tomorrow were Opening Day? How many games would the current Mets roster be expected to win? Using only the 40-man roster, I put together my preferred 2014 Mets team and estimated its wins above replacement (WAR).
The usual caveats apply: these are back-of-the-napkin projections, more than 25 players are listed to meet plate appearance and innings pitched benchmarks, and the roster will likely look different come March. Here goes:
Remember, conservatism is king for projections. Some bullet thoughts:
- If we assume ~48 wins for a replacement level team, this looks like a 74-78 win squad. New shortstop and relief pitchers, please.
- I'll take the over on the Curtis Granderson, Zack Wheeler, and Dillon Gee projections. I'll take the under on the bullpen as a whole.
- I gave Ike Davis the bulk of the at-bats at first base but I don't feel too strongly about it. Lucas Duda and Josh Satin will also log time at the position.
- It would be really cool if Jenrry Mejia could pitch more than 100 innings next season.
- 2013 Mets Season Review: Josh Satin
- Mets Morning News: With the Winter Meetings over, the wait for spring begins.
- Mets Trade Rumors: Mets looking at young shortstop options
- Rule 5 Draft Recap: Mets select Seth Rosin from Phillies then trade him to the Dodgers
- Mets Free Agency: Mets most likely to fill shortstop by trade, not with Stephen Drew