*All results from games played on Friday, April 19th, 2013
AAA - Las Vegas 51's (9-7)_______________________________________
SACRAMENTO 5, LAS VEGAS 10 (Box)
This is another one of those games where you win not out of brilliance, but by being a little less crappy than your opponents. While the River Cats pitching staff simply got bopped around to the tune of six extra-base hits and eleven overall, 51s pitchers conceded ten walks and and nine hits tonight. Zach Wheeler had some swing-and-miss stuff (four strikeouts) but also his just plain miss stuff (six walks) in 4.1 unspectacular innings. Greg Peavey got the win, but he walked in the tying run in the fifth before performing a Houdini act to get out of the inning as the 51s took a 5-4 lead in the bottom of the inning and never relinquished it. Reese Havens and Eric Campbell went yard for our Pacific Coast League heroes, who came through with some solid raking tonight.
- CF Juan Lagares: 2-4, 2B, R, BB, 2 K, RBI
- 3B Reese Havens: 2-2, R, 2 RBI, HR (1)
- 2B Wilmer Flores: 0-4, K
- LF/1B Eric Campbell: 1-3, 3 R, HBP, BB, 2 RBI, HR (1)
- 1B Josh Satin: 0-1, BB, RBI
- RF Jamie Hoffmann: 3-4, 2B, R, K, RBI
- RHP Zack Wheeler: 4.1 IP, 3 H, 4 ER, 6 BB, 4 K; Left the game with 108 pitches, 3:3 GB/FB ratio
AA - Binghamton Mets (8-7)_____________________________________
BINGHAMTON 2, NEW HAMPSHIRE 5 (Box)
Our Eastern League heroes fell to the Fisher Cats Friday night, as Erik Goeddel took the loss with 4.1 mediocre innings of eight-hit, five-run ball. The offense was held in check by Cats starter Austin Bibens-Dirkx (not related to Bubba Sparkxxx) with the lone blemishes a Blake Forsythe RBI groundout and a Cory Vaughn home run.
- CF Alonzo Harris: 1-4
- LF Darrell Ceciliani: 1-4, K, SB (2)
- 2B Danny Muno: 0-3, K
- SS Wilfredo Tovar: 0-3, K
- RF Cory Vaughn: 1-4, R, K, RBI, HR (2)
- C Blake Forsythe: 1-3, RBI, K
- RHP Erik Goeddel: 4.1 IP, 8 H, 5 ER, 1 BB, 4 K, 2 HR
- RHP Adrian Rosario: 2 IP, 2 BB, 3 K; Signs of life, or mirages of frustration?
Hi-A - St. Lucie Mets (9-6)________________________________________
FT. MYERS 14, ST. LUCIE 2 (Box)
Welp. If you added starter Angel Cuan's walks and strikeouts combined from tonight's outing (3), you would still have one less home run than he allowed in 3.1 innings (4). The 14-1 Miracle buzzsaw keeps churning through the Florida State League in what began as a 2-1 deficit after three morphred cruelly into an 11-1 deficit after a nine-run fourth for the Miracle, an inning that also saw Mets manager Ryan Ellis and reliever Estarlin Morel ejected. The Miracle managed six home runs in total (none by Miguel Sano, who went hitless), which will tend to offset a single home run (a third inning blast from Travis Taijeron) by a pretty huge margin.
- 2B T.J. Rivera: 2-4, 2B, RBI
- SS Matt Reynolds: 0-4
- 3B Aderlin Rodriguez: 0-4, K, E (3)
- LF Dustin Lawley: 1-4, K
- LF Travis Taijeron: 2-3, R, K, RBI, HR (1)
- C Cam Maron: 1-4
- CF Gilbert Gomez: 0-3, R, K, E (1)
- LHP Angel Cuan: 3.1 IP, 11 H, 9 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, WP, 4 HR; 1:5 GB/FB ratio
Lo-A - Savannah Sand Gnats (8-7)__________________________________
SAVANNAH 7, LAKEWOOD 2 (Box)
Plawecki homers! Matz starts! Nimmo gets on base! The Savannah Sand Gnats, coming to a ballpark near you!*
(*Not all nights will be as awesome as tonight)
- CF Brandon Nimmo: 4-4. 2 R, 3B, BB
- 1B Jayce Boyd: 1-5, R, K, RBI
- C Kevin Plawecki: 3-4, R, 4 RBI, BB, HR (3)
- DH Jeffrey Glenn: 0-3, RBI, 2 BB
- LF Stefan Sabol: 1-4, BB
- SS Phil Evans: 0-3, 2 BB
- 3B Jeff Reynolds: 1-5, R, RBI, HR (2)
- LHP Steven Matz: 5 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K. 6:1 GB/FB ratio
- RHP Beck Wheeler: 1 IP, 2 K; Sometime this season he will allow a baserunner... I think.
Star of the Night
Brandon Nimmo rocks the stud pants, but Steven Matz has a slightly faded pair of his own. Kevin Plawecki gets a really nice looking stud Canadian tuxedo. All around awesome in Lakewood tonight.
Goat of the Night
It takes a lot to make a six-walk Zach Wheeler start look like Pedro Martinez circa 1999, but Angel Cuan did so tonight. Oh, Eudy Pina had a golden sombrero, but he wasn't facing St. Lucie pitching last night.