*All results from games played on Monday, July 8th, 2013*
AAA - Las Vegas 51s (46-43)__________________________________
LAS VEGAS 1, SALT LAKE 7 (Box)
The 51s could only muster one run and the staff got knocked around as they fell to Salt Lake 7-1. Starter Giancarlo Alvarado lasted just 1.2 innings before leaving the game due to an apparent injury. He was replaced by the ineffective Greg Peavey. The staff as a whole issued 10 walks on the night and dug a hole the 51 bats could not climb out of.
- CF Matt den Dekker: 2-3, 2B
- 2B Wilmer Flores: 1-4, K; Batting .366 over his last ten games and has reached base in 19 straight
- 1B Zach Lutz: 0-4, K
- DH Mike Baxter: 1-4, 2B, K
- C Francisco Pena: 0-4, K; Batting .108 over his last ten games
- SS Ruben Tejada: 2-4, 2B, RBI, K
- RHP Giancarlo Alvarado: 1.2 IP, 4 H, R, ER, 2 BB, 0 K
- LHP Jack Leathersich: 0.1 IP, 2 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 0 K
AA - Binghamton Mets (53-33)_____________________________________
BINGHAMTON 6, NEW HAMPSHIRE 7 (Box)
John Church and Pedro Feliciano combined to allow five runs in the bottom of the eighth which set the stage for a furious ninth inning rally that saw the B-Mets fall just short, losing 7-6. Darin Gorski--GORSKI!--was good in this one, going 4.2 IP, H, R, BB, 6 K. He came out after just 63 pitches but it seems this was due to a rain delay.
- SS Danny Muno: 0-3, RBI, 3 K; Muno was named the Eastern League Player of the Week for the week ended July 7th. He hit .417/.517/.833 over six games with 3 HR, 12 RBI, 4 BB, and a SB. After a mediocre April and a poor May, Muno has rallied to bring his season line up to .243/.381/.393.
- 2B Josh Rodriguez: 1-4, 2B
- CF Darrell Ceciliani: 2-3, 2 R, 2 RBI, 2B, BB, HR (5), K
- RF Cesar Puello: 1-3, R, BB (!); The B-Mets took in another award on Monday as Puello was named Eastern League Player of the Month for June. Puello hit .435/.458/.884 with 7 doubles, 8 home runs, and 24 RBI over 18 games.
- DH Allan Dykstra: 2-4, R, RBI, K
- LF Travis Taijeron: 0-3, BB, K
- LHP Darin Gorski: 4.2 IP, H, ER, BB, 6 K
- LHP Pedro Feliciano: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
Hi-A - St. Lucie Mets (7-10 / 45-39)________________________________________
FORT MYERS 3, ST. LUCIE 5 (Box)
St. Lucie rallied late with two runs in the seventh and one in the eighth to beat Fort Myers 5-3. Recently promoted Kyle Johnson--acquired via trade for Colin Cowgill--made his FSL debut, going 3-4 with a walk and three runs scored. I was pretty happy when Sandy and Co. were able to get something of value in exchange for Cowgill. The 23-year-old Johnson seems to fit the mold this front office likes, specifically the ability to draw a walk and not strikeout too much. Rainy Lara had perhaps his worst start of the season, walking five while striking out just one over five innings.
- RF Kyle Johnson: 3-4, 3 R, BB
- LF Dustin Lawley: 2-4, RBI
- C Kevin Plawecki: 1-3, 2 RBI, BB
- SS Matt Reynolds: 1-4, R, K
- DH Jayce Boyd: 0-2, 2 BB
- 3B Robbie Shields: 2-4, 2B, K
- RHP Rainy Lara: 5 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 5 BB, 1 K
- Rehab Alert LHP Tim Byrdak: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K
Lo-A - Savannah Sand Gnats (5-9 / 50-36)__________________________________
NO SCHEDULED GAME
Short-Season A - Brooklyn Cyclones (9-12)
LOWELL 3, BROOKLYN 4 (Box)
Jared King drove home the winning run in the bottom of the 8th to lift Brooklyn to a 4-3 win over Lowell Monday night. John Gant was on the mound for the Cyclones and the results were good, giving up just two unearned runs over six innings. The peripherals were a bit mixed as he struck out seven but walked five. Through four starts Gant has struck out 32 and walked 9 over 22 innings.
- CF Patrick Biondi: 0-3, R, BB, 2 K
- SS Juan Carlos Gamboa: 0-3
- 2B L.J. Mazzilli: 0-4, 2 K
- 1B Matt Oberste: 1-4, R, K
- DH Alex Sanchez: 0-3
- C Colton Plaia: 1-3, R, 2B, RBI, K
- RHP John Gant: 6 IP, H, 2 R, 0 ER, 5 BB, 7 K
INJURY UPDATE - The Cyclones have placed Gavin Cecchini on the seven-day DL with a sprained ankle. In 15 games the 19-year-old shortstop is batting .259/.305/.315 with zero home runs and two stolen bases. He has not played since July 3rd.
Rk - Kingsport Mets (7-11)_____________________________
GREENEVILLE 3, KINGSPORT 2 (Box)
- CF Champ Stuart: 0-4, 2 K
- 3B Pedro Perez: 1-3, BB
- 1B Jeff Diehl: 1-4, R, 2B, K
- RF Victor Cruzado: 2-3, R, RBI, HR (2)
- SS Yeixon Ruiz: 1-4, K
- CF Bradley Marquez: 1-3, K
- RHP Martires Arias: 7 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
Rk - GCL Mets (2-11)_____________________
GCL METS 2, GCL MARLINS 5 (Box)
- SS Luis Guillorme: 2-4, 2 R, 2B, K
- 2B Leon Canelon: 0-4, K
- RF Wuilmer Becerra: 2-2, 2 RBI, SB
- CF Ivan Wilson: 0-3, 2 K
- C Alex Machillanda: 1-3, 2B, K
- Rehab Alert RHP Scott Atchison: 1 IP, 2 H, R, ER, 0 BB, 2 K
Rk - GCL Mets (3-11)_____________________
GCL MARLINS 3, GCL METS 5 (Box)
- SS Luis Guillorme: 3-4, R, RBI
- DH Leon Canelon: 3-4, R, 2B, 2 RBI
- 1B Dominic Smith: 0-3, BB
- RF Wuilmer Becerra: 0-3, RBI, K
- LF Vicente Lupo: 1-2, R, K; Too small a sample size to draw any conclusions--that goes for all of the short season teams--but I was hoping for more from Lupo.
- CF Ivan Wilson: 1-3
- 2B Branden Kaupe: 1-2, R, BB; Early returns similar to last year--solid on-base skills and absolutely no power whatsoever.
- RHP Yoryi Nuez: 4.2 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, BB, 3 K
Star of the Night
It hasn't been a great year for Darrell Ceciliani but on this night he gave us a star-worthy performance, going 2-3 with a double, a homer, and a walk while driving in and scoring two.
Goat of the Night
Jack Leathersich did not strike out a batter for a second consecutive outing--traid, obviously--allowing three runs on two hits and two walks before finally getting the out he needed to end the fifth. The Leather Rocket still has 19 strikeouts in 11 AAA innings, but his ERA has ballooned to 7.36.