*All results from games played on Saturday, August 17th 2013
AAA - Las Vegas 51's (69-57)______________________________________
SALT LAKE CITY 10, LAS VEGAS 8 (Box)
[witty comment about the Pacific Coast League run environment.]
- SS Ruben Tejada: 2-5, R
- C Travis d'Arnaud: Movin' on up.
- 3B Zach Lutz: 3-4, 2B, R, 3 RBI, BB; Never quite worked out for Lutz here. He's 27 and I believe that he can declare minor league free agency after this season if he gets bumped off the 40.
- CF Matt den Dekker: 1-5, 3B, 3 RBI, K
- LF Eric Campbell: 0-3, R, RBI, 2 BB; I've started getting questions about Campbell on twitter. He's 26 and hitting .300/.421/.462 in Vegas. That's his highest career OPS by 50 points, and he is just two years removed from a horrible season as a 24 year old in Binghamton. Mets have a surplus of older, platoon corner guys. Campbell is pretty low on that totem pole. He also was a pretty bad leftfielder, at least as of last summer.
- LHP Jack Leathersich: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 4 R, 2 BB, 1 K; Almost a walk an inning in Triple-A, but what's really killing him is giving up a hit an inning too. Deception guys can be all-or-nothing in the upper levels.
AA - Binghamton Mets (79-47)_____________________________________
BINGHAMTON 5, NEW BRITAIN 4 (Box)
A come-from-behind victory iced by a competent minor league bullpen. A textbook win for the 2013 B-Mets. This one just happened to lock up their first playoff appearance in a decade. Congratulations to all! Here's Tim Heiman's call of the final out.
- 2B Danny Muno: 0-3, BB, K
- RF Travis Taijeron:1-3, 2B, RBI, K
- LF Cory Vaughn: 1-4, 2 RBI, 2 K
- 1B Allan Dykstra:1-3, R, RBI, BB, 2 K
- SS Wilfredo Tovar: 0-2, R, BB; Has started to cool off a bit. 4 for his last 19 with no extra-base hits.
Hi-A - St. Lucie Mets (28-22 // 65-52)_______________________
JUPITER 4, ST. LUCIE 2 (Box)
St. Lucie couldn't dig themselves out of an early 4-0 hole, and the Mets fall a half game back with 14 to play.
- DH Jayce Boyd: 0-3, BB
- C Kevin Plawecki: 0-3, RBI, BB
- SS Matt Reynolds: 0-4; .229/.304/.332 on the season. Yuck.
- RF Gilbert Gomez: 1-3, R, 2 K
Lo-A - Savannah Sand Gnats (25-24 // 68-50)_____________
SAVANNAH v. AUGUSTA PPD (RAIN)
Doubleheader with the GreenJackets got banged for the second straight day. Apparently it rains a lot in the South this time of year. Not that I'd know anything about that. They'll try for two again today.
SS-A Brooklyn Cyclones (28-28)_______________________________
VERMONT 1, BROOKLYN 0 (Box)
Brooklyn just can't seem to get too far over the .500 hump. Miller Diaz was great again, but the non-Gavin-Cecchini bats failed to show up.
- SS Gavin Cecchini: 4-4; Not walking or hitting for much power, but when you are batting .450 over your last ten, I don't care.
- 2B LJ Mazzilli: 1-4
- LF Jared King: 0-4, 2 K
- RHP Miller Diaz: L, 6 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 3 BB, 7 K; I wasn't that impressed with Diaz when I saw him, but at least one scout disagrees with me.
R - Kingsport Mets (28-20)_______________________________
BRISTOL 10, KINGSPORT 6 (Box)
[witty comment about quality of Appy League play]
- SS Amed Rosario: 3-5, 2 RBI, E (14); Since I left Tennessee, he is 7-17, with 5 RBI. Of course he has also struck out seven times.
- CF Champ Stuart: Hasn't played since Sunday. Don't recall anything happening that would have kept him out this long.
- 1B Pedro Perez: 3-5, R
- RHP Persio Reyes: 7 IP, 11 H, 7 R, 5 ER, 1 BB, 6 K, 3 WP; Reyes could touch 94, but was down to 88-91 in the fifth when I saw him last weekend. Ridiculously skinny and a lot of effort to get the velocity.
R - GCL Mets (16-34)_______________________________
GCL METS 6, GCL NATS 5 (Box)
GCL Mets improve to 2-15 against the GCL Nats with yesterday's win. Seriously.
- SS Luis Guillorme: 2-5, 2B, R, E (8)
- DH Dominic Smith: 2-5, 2B, 2 R, K
- 3B Jhoan Urena: 3-5, 2 2B, 4 RBI
- CF Ivan Wilson: 0-4, 4 K
Star of the Night
Four hits in four at-bats. That'll do Mr. Cecchini
Goat of the Night
Conversely, four Ks in four at-bats gets Ivan Wilson the horns.