*All results from games played on Thursday, August 8th, 2013*
AAA - Las Vegas 51s (63-54)__________________________________
OKLAHOMA CITY 3, LAS VEGAS 12 (Box)
Brandon Hicks and Matt den Dekker combined for six hits, five runs, and seven runs batted in to lead Vegas past OK City 12-3. Hicks in particular had a day, with two home runs, a double, and two walks in five trips to the plate. Jacob deGrom kept the opposing bats at bay, striking out six and walking one while pitching into the seventh. Since all three runs he allowed were unearned, his AAA ERA dropped to 4.02.
- RF Kirk Nieuwenhuis: 0-5, BB, 2 K
- SS Ruben Tejada: 0-5, 2 K
- DH Lucas Duda: 0-1, R, 4 BB
- 3B Zach Lutz: 2-4, 3 R, 2B, BB, K, E (5)
- CF Matt den Dekker: 3-5, 3 R, 2B, 3B, 3 RBI; He's up to .273/.336/.464 with a decent walk rate and not striking out an insane amount (hovering around 25%).
- 2B Brandon Hicks: 3-3, 2 R, 2B, 4 RBI, 2 HR (8, 9), 2 BB
- RHP Jacob deGrom: 6.1 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 0 ER, BB, 6 K
This move coincides with a Mets West Coast trip as well as the impending birth of John Buck's child. Could be coincidence, could be a calculated move. I'll let you decide.
AA - Binghamton Mets (73-44)_____________________________________
ALTOONA 0, BINGHAMTON 1 (Box)
Darin Gorski continued to pitch exceptionally, tossing 7.2 innings of shutout baseball to lead Binghamton over Altoona 1-0. Since returning from the disabled list on June 12th, Gorski has a 1.76 ERA over 51 double-A innings. Not much to speak of offensively, but of note is Jeff Walters, who came on in the ninth to record his 33rd save. He's now up to 51 strikeouts against just 12 walks in 48.2 innings. Get familiar with his name. He'll be in the mix for the 2014 Mets bullpen.
- 2B Danny Muno: 0-4, K
- CF Darrell Ceciliani: 0-2, R, BB, K
- RF Cory Vaughn: 1-3
- SS Wilfredo Tovar: 0-3
- CF Alonzo Harris: 0-3, K
- LHP Darin Gorski: 7.2 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K
- REHAB ALERT C Travis d'Arnaud: 0-2, BB; also note he threw out two would be base-stealers.
Hi-A - St. Lucie Mets (23-19 / 60-49)________________________________________
ST. LUCIE 3, BRADENTON 5 (Box)
- CF Kyle Johnson: 1-4, R, K
- 2B T.J. Rivera: 1-3, R, BB, K
- 3B Dustin Lawley: 0-3, BB, K
- 1B Kevin Plawecki: 2-4, R, 2 RBI, K; It's been a productive year for Plawecki, although in retrospect it may have made more sense to start him at this level.
- SS Matt Reynolds: 1-3; Hasn't improved since the all-star break. He's actually been worse.
- RHP Matthew Bowman: 5 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 5 K; After a hot start following his promotion to St. Lucie, Bowman has cooled off since the beginning of July, with 17 walks in his last 33.2 innings.
- RHP Cody Satterwhite: 2 IP, 3 H, R, ER, 0 BB, 6 K (!); I'm not entirely sure where Cody came from but he now has 20 strikeouts in 12 innings since joining St. Lucie in July.
Lo-A - Savannah Sand Gnats (22-19 / 67-45)__________________________________
HICKORY 3, SAVANNAH 6 (Box)
A resurgent Brandon Nimmo had three hits to lead Savannah to victory Thursday night. It's the third time in the last four games Nimmo has had three hits. If you believe in arbitrary time frames (and you shouldn't) I've got a fun one for you; coming into tonight's game, Nimmo is hitting .297/.447/.486 with just 11 strikeouts in 47 plate appearances. A hot finish to the season would be just what the doctor ordered for Nimmo's prospect stock.
- CF Brandon Nimmo: 3-5, R, RBI, K
- LF Maikis De La Cruz: 2-4, R, BB, K
- RF Eudy Pina: 2-4, 2 RBI
- PH Albert Cordero: 0-4
- 1B Cole Frenzel: 1-3, R, RBI, 2 BB, K
- RHP Julian Hilario: 5 IP, 3 H, R, ER, 2 BB, 4 K
Short-A - Brooklyn Cyclones (24-25)
CONNECTICUT 7, BROOKLYN 3 (Box)
- LF Patrick Biondi: 2-3, 2 R, 2B, BB
- SS Gavin Cecchini: 3-4
- 2B L.J. Mazzilli: 1-4, 2 RBI, K
- OF Jared King: DNP
- 1B Matt Oberste: 0-4, 2 K
- DH Alex Sanchez: 0-4, K
- RHP Kevin McGowan: 3 IP, 5 H, R, ER, 0 BB, 2 K
Rk - Kingsport Mets (27-19)_____________________________
PULASKI 4, KINGSPORT 7 (Box)
- CF Champ Stuart: 1-4, R, BB, K
- SS Amed Rosario: 1-4, 2 K
- 3B Pedro Perez: 0-3, BB, K
- 2B Richie Rodriguez: 0-4, R
- 1B Jeff Diehl: 2-4, R, 2 RBI, HR (4), K
- RHP Chris Flexen: 7 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
Rk - GCL Mets (14-28)_______________________________
GCL METS 2, GCL CARDINALS 0 (Box)
- SS Luis Guillorme: 1-4
- CF Ivan Wilson: 1-2, R, BB, K
- LF Vicente Lupo: 1-2, 2B, 2 RBI, K
- RHP Marcos Molina: 6 IP, 7 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K
GCL CARDINALS 5, GCL METS 3 (Box)
- 2B Branden Kaupe: 1-3, BB, K
- 1B Dominic Smith: 1-3, 2B
- RF Wuilmer Becerra: 0-2, R, BB
- LF Vicente Lupo: 1-3, R, RBI, HR (4), K
- RHP Gaby Almonte: 4 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 ER, BB, K
Star of the Night
Brandon Hicks with honorable mention to Matt den Dekker.
Goat of the Night
Nothing stands out as particularly egregious.