As much as the Mets are known for the "Miracle Mets", Tug McGraw's "Ya Gotta Believe" rally cry, and the little grounder up along first that got through Buckner, the Queens baseball franchise is also well known for its frequent blunders and mistakes. As the Mets have spiraled in recent years, the term LOLMets has grown in usage among baseball fans across the internet. For the uninitiated, LOLMets is the phrase that people use to designate something unflattering, embarrassing, or downright moronic that the Mets do.
Whenever the Mets make a misstep on or off the field, it's labeled "LOLMets!" and laughed at. The amount of potential LOLMets moments in the universe is practically uncountable and if there's one organization that will figure out how to make an unthinkable gaffe happen, it's typically the Mets. Too often, the organization is unable to get out of its own way, even when they have the best of intentions. In light of yesterday's news that the team and their owners are facing a brand new lawsuit, we've decided to aid all of you in your LOLMets-ing this time by creating "The LOLMets Index". This index allows you to rank just how LOLMets an LOLMets moment is in context to some of the most infamous LOLMets moments in recent history. Believe it or not, there are a number of degrees of LOLMets.
The LOLMets Index runs up to 5, the highest level which is the rare Extreme Level of LOLMets, and each level is associated with a different color. Let's run down some previous examples of the different levels of LOLMets:
Level 1 Code BLUE LOLMets (Insignificant)
- Jay Horwitz's habit of butt dialing/tweeting
- The muscular fan who struggled to open the water bottle
- TV camera catches Mets fan falling down in the background of a shot.
- Lucas Duda breaks his wrist while moving furniture
- LaTroy Hawkins and Jordany Valdespin both take baseballs to the junk in the same season
Level 2 Code GREEN LOLMets (Low)
- Daniel Murphy's paternity leave
- Jeff Francoeur's game-ending unassisted triple play
- Mike Pelfrey falling off the mound or drops the ball, or balks in a number of odd ways
- Mets ask cougar site to help vote David Wright for the All-Star game
- Mets trade Marlon Byrd a few hours before Marlon Byrd t-shirt night
- Matt Harvey tweets a picture of himself flipping the bird
Level 3 Code YELLOW LOLMets (Noteworthy)
- The Amway at Citi Field
- The fallout from Carlos Beltran's knee surgery
- Mike Pelfrey's handlicking
- Mets make changes to event honoring American Indians, upset them
- David Wright's giant helmet
- Lucas Duda and Ryne Sandberg get food poisoning from Citi Field Shake Shack
- Miguel Batista calls the Mets "the best team in baseball"
Level 4 Code ORANGE LOLMets (Outstanding)
- Bobby Bonilla's contract
- Matt Harvey's Qualcomm Interview
- The Walter Reed Hospital flap with Oliver Perez, Luis Castillo, and Carlos Beltran
- Luis Castillo's dropped popup
- Tony Bernazard tearing his shirt off and challenging the Binghamton Mets to a fight.
- The botched Ryan Church concussion treatment
- Ownership backs out of deal with David Einhorn
- Jordany Valdespin incites Pirates rage, later calls Terry Collins a bad word
Level 5 Code RED LOLMets (Extreme!)
- The Omar Minaya/Adam Rubin "Has Lobby" press conference
- Francisco Rodriguez punching his father in-law
- Fred Wilpon's New Yorker Interview
- The late season collapses in 2007 and 2008 (also prominently featuring the "sad Mets fan")
- Willie Randolph getting fired on the west coast after a win at 3 AM EST
As a Mets fan, it can understandably be aggravating to see your team laughed at so often but it's important to remember that baseball is just an entertaining game and there's little reason for fans to be uptight about it. The Mets are embarrassing, they often do things wrong, and they'll likely keep doing things wrong unless they make some very big organizational changes (and heck, that might not even do it. Look at their past. Embarrassing moments seem to be written into the organization's DNA). Laughter is often the best medicine and as the saying goes: if you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at?
Are there any notable moments we may have forgotten to include? Go ahead and add them in the comments below and be sure to note which level they'd rank on the Index!