With the passing of the winter meetings in December and the start of a new year, we've officially reached the boring part of the offseason where the hot stove cools down and teams begin to prepare for spring training next month. It's the part of the offseason where players avoiding arbitration counts as "big news" and when the start of the "In The Best Shape Of His Life (ITBSOHL!!!!)" pieces start rolling out.
This is a pretty awful time of year for baseball fans, but at the same time it's a period filled with hope for a new season on the horizon. Thanks to the aforementioned lack of activity around the majors, we decided there is no better way to pass the time than to hold a contest!
I'd like to introduce the Amazin' Avenue #LoveTheMets contest! So what is the purpose of this contest? It's pretty simple: We want to know why you #LoveTheMets. Your goal is to answer this question: "Why do you #LoveTheMets?". We'd like to hear the story of why you are a Mets fan and some ways to demonstrate this could include (but are not limited to) answering questions such as:
- When did you start following the Mets?
- Who got you into the team?
- Why have you stuck with them for so long?
- What are your favorite Mets memories?
- Who are some of your favorite players?
Now here's the best part: the contest is not just limited to written submissions. In fact, we encourage you to be creative with your entry. If you want to make a funny video showing us all about your devotion to the Mets, send us a video! If you can write a song about your Mets fandom, send us a song! If you want to paint a picture, create a terrible MS Paint (or awesome Photoshop), write a poem or a FanPost, or really anything else you can think of, we'd love to see it.
Before we get to the goodies that we're giving away, there are some rules regarding entries:
- All entries must be submitted or uploaded via an Amazin' Avenue FanPost or FanShot and they must begin with #LTM in the title. You can follow that with whatever title you want, but it must begin with #LTM so we can distinguish it from non-contest FanPosts and FanShots. If you do not follow this rule your entry will be excluded from consideration.
- The deadline for FanPost or FanShot submission is 5:00 PM on Sunday, January 25th. NO EXCEPTIONS! We're giving you just shy of two weeks in order to make your entries really great!
- Please make sure that your entry manages to answer the question "why do you #LoveTheMets?".
- In written entries, use spell-check and proofread for grammar, punctuation, and usage errors. If you can't be bothered with making your entry readable then we can't be bothered with actually reading it.
- Just like with our AAOP contest, please try to make it look good if you're submitting a written piece. If you're submitting something other than a written piece, make it interesting! All entries will be considered for prizes but creativity is certainly worth extra points.
So what prizes are you competing for? Here's the swag in play:
First place: A PSA holdered autographed Sandy Alderson "Mets General Manager" business card
Second place: A copy of the Moneyball DVD signed by A's GM Billy Beane
Third place: An 8x10 autographed picture of former Mets player Nick Evans (who?)
Good luck and get going on your entries! We look forward to reviewing them all over the coming weeks. #LoveTheMets
All entries are subject to the official rules, found here.