clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Mets are willing to go to four years to sign Ben Zobrist

New, comments

Zobrist has been the Mets' top target all offseason.

Jeff Curry-USA TODAY Sports

The Mets will apparently do whatever it takes to sign Ben Zobrist, and if that means offering him four years, Newsday's Marc Carig says the Mets will do it. This contradicts a report from earlier this week that said the Mets would balk on a four-year contract with Zobrist, who will turn 35 in May.

Carig's report comes on the heels of Zobrist meeting with COO Jeff Wilpon and general manager Sandy Alderson at Citi Field on Wednesday. Zobrist toured Citi Field and looked at neighborhoods in Westchester and Connecticut before having dinner with Wilpon and Alderson. New York Post's Mike Puma tweeted that the Mets expect a decision from Zobrist soon.

Zobrist would be the Mets' starting second baseman and would be an upgrade both offensively and defensively over the presumably outgoing Daniel Murphy. The Mets have been in contact with Murphy's agents, so he's always an option, however unlikely, should the Mets fail in their pursuit of Zobrist.