*All results from games played on Friday, July 3, 2015
Triple-A - Las Vegas 51s (46-36)_______________________________________
TACOMA 12, LAS VEGAS 7 (Box)
The 51s lost to Tacoma by a very PCL score of 12-7. Anthony Recker and Alex Castellanos both homered for the 51s, but Rainy Lara and Vic Black got hammered for ten runs in a combined five innings. Matt Reynolds again sat out as he nurses a sore elbow.
- SS-3B Danny Muno: 1-4, BB, K
- 2B Dilson Herrera: 0-3, R, BB, K
- SS Wilfredo Tovar: 0-2
- C Anthony Recker: 1-5, R, HR, 2 RBI, 3 K
- CF Kirk Nieuwenhuis: 0-4, R, BB, K
- 1B Brandon Allen: 2-4, R, BB
- RF Travis Taijeron: 1-2, R, 2B, RBI, BB
- 3B T.J. Rivera: 0-1, R
- LF Alex Castellanos: 2-4, R, 2B, HR, RBI, K; can he really be any worse than Eric Campbell?
- RHP Rainy Lara: 4 IP, 10 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 3 K, 2 HR
- RHP Vic Black: 1 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, BB, 2 K, HR; currently sporting a 15.88 ERA
- REHAB ALERT Jennry Mejia: 1 IP, 2 H, R, ER, 3 K; a perfectly fine PCL rehab outing
Double-A - Binghamton Mets (40-39)_____________________________________
ERIE 3, BINGHAMTON 2 (Box)
Michael Gibbons pitched a good game in his first start at Double-A, but gave up the go-ahead run in the seventh inning, and Binghamton's offense couldn't respond. Gavin Cecchini and Brandon Nimmo continued to be unremarkable at the plate, going a combined 2-for-9. Meanwhile, Michael Conforto added more fuel to the PROMOAT fire, going 2-for-4 with an RBI.
- SS Gavin Cecchini: 1-5
- 2B L.J. Mazzilli: 2-5, 2 R, 2B, K
- LF Michael Conforto: 2-4, RBI
- CF Brandon Nimmo: 1-4, RBI, 2 K
- 1B Josh Rodriguez: 0-4, 2 K
- RHP Michael Gibbons: 6.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, BB, 3 K, HR
Advanced-A - St. Lucie Mets (38-37 / 2-2)_____________________________________
ST. LUCIE 6, JUPITER 5 (Box)
St. Lucie scored five runs in the third inning and hung on against a late Jupiter rally. Some brief scouting tidbits of note:Jeff McNeil looks decent at short, which increases his utility infielder potential; Dom Smith still isn't that good; and Josh Smoker might be a dude.
- CF Champ Stuart: 0-3, R, RBI, BB, 2 K
- SS Jeff McNeil: 1-4, R, 2B, 2 RBI; SS defense not awful according to Jeff Paternostro
- 1B Dominic Smith: 2-4, R, RBI; reviews not as positive here
- RF Victor Cruzado: 1-3, 3B, 3B, 2 RBI, K
- RHP Casey Meisner: 5.2 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 4 K, HR
- LHP Josh Smoker: 2 IP, H, 2 K; good enough to at least be interesting
Low-A - Savannah Sand Gnats (40-34 / 1-3)__________________________________
AUGUSTA 3, SAVANNAH 1 (Box)
Outside of a first inning RBI single from John Mora, the Sand Gnats' bats went quiet in the first game of today's doubleheader. Starter Martires Arias worked through some wildness to hold Augusta to two earned runs, but wound up the hard-luck loser.
- SS Luis Guillorme: 2-3, R
- RF Wuilmer Becerra: 1-3, 2B, K
- 3B Eudor Garcia: 0-3, 2 K
- CF John Mora: 1-3, RBI, K
- RHP Martires Arias: 6 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 4 K
SAVANNAH 3, AUGUSTA 0 (Box)
In the makeup of yesterday's postponed game, Vincente Lupo carried the offense to back Scarlyn Reyes's complete (seven inning) game, 12 strikeout performance.
HUDSON VALLEY 4, BROOKLYN 1 (Box)
Brooklyn couldn't muster any offense outside of a Vinny Siena RBI single in the fifth. Nicco Blank pitched a fine game, but was victimized by a Jose Garcia error and a lack of run support.
- 2B Vinny Siena: 1-4, RBI, K
- RF Michael Bernal: 1-2, 2B
- 3B David Thompson: 0-4, K
- LF Jeff Diehl: 1-4, 2 K
- CF Tucker Tharp: 0-2, 2 BB, K
- RHP Nicco Blank: 5 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
Rookie - Kingsport Mets (5-6)__________________________
BURLINGTON 7, KINGSPORT 4 (Box)
Kingsport had a four-run lead heading to the bottom of the sixth against Burlington, but Harol Gonzalez blew the lead (with some help from a Luis Carpio error). Burlington scored three more in the seventh, and Kingsport couldn't score again. Raphael Ramirez left the game in the second after being hit by a pitch in the first.
- LF Raphael Ramirez: 0-1; pinch hit for in the second inning
- SS Luis Carpio: 0-2, BB
- 1B Dash Winningham: 0-3, BB, K
- C Patrick Mazeika: 2-2, 2 R, 2B, BB
- 2B Milton Ramos: 1-3, R, RBI, RBI, BB
- CF Kevin Kaczmarski: 1-3, R, 2B, RBI, BB
- RHP Harol Gonzalez: 6 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
Rookie - GCL Mets (2-4)__________________________
GCL METS 7, GCL NATIONALS 5 (Box)
An Ivan Wilson grand slam was the big blow for the GCL Mets. Merandy Gonzalez pitched five strong innings, and while Blake Taylor (acquired from the Pirates for Ike Davis) allowed the Nats to close the gap a bit, the Mets' offense added enough insurance to hold on for the win.
- CF Ricardo Cespedes: 2-5, R, 2B, RBI, 2 K
- RF Jose Miguel Medina: 0-1, R, 3 BB, K
- DH Ivan Wilson: 1-4, R, GS, 4 RBI, K
- RHP Merandy Gonzalez: 5 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 2 ER, BB, 7 K
- LHP Blake Taylor: 2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 K
Star of the Night
Goat of the Night