*All results from games played on Monday, July 6, 2015
Triple-A - Las Vegas 51s (47-37)_______________________________________
Double-A - Binghamton Mets (41-41)_____________________________________
PORTLAND 5, BINGHAMTON 4 (Box)
If you're reading this report then you, like me, care a lot about the Mets' minor leaguers. As such, how we feel about our prospects tends to ebb and flow with the ups and downs of said prospects. We know this isn't rational but that doesn't stop us from overreacting at various points throughout the year after a random hot or cold streak. Baseball is a weird game. Players don't perform in a straight line. This makes it a constant struggle for us to get a grasp on a player's true talent level. And it's especially true in the minor leagues where players are continuously improving, unless they're not. All of this is a long-winded way of saying that I am bummed out about Brandon Nimmo. He's hitting just .279/.343/.380 in Binghamton and it's looking more and more likely that he's going to end up a fourth-outfielder-platoon type of player. His slash line in Double-A is similar to what he did in his stint last year, only with worse strikeout and walk numbers and less power as well. I'm sure he'll go on a hot streak starting today now that I've written this but I had to get it out.
- SS Gavin Cecchini: 2-5
- 2B L.J. Mazzilli: 1-4, BB, K
- LF Michael Conforto: 0-5, 2 K; I pointed this out on twitter yesterday and it bares repeating here: PECOTA's 50th percentile rest-of-season projection on Conforto is .247/.313/.407. People have said that to call on Conforto and expect him to be the savior would be naive and rash. Well, we're not expecting him to be a savior but look at what he would be replacing. Mets left-fielders have combined to hit .214/.273/.333. I'm not looking for a savior, I'm looking for a non-blackhole. And there's upside in bringing up Conforto, too. His 60th percentile projection is .258/.325/.425, which is pretty damn good.
- CF Brandon Nimmo: 1-4, 2B, 2 K
- 3B Josh Rodriguez: 3-4, R, 2B, RBI
- PH Aderlin Rodriguez: 0-1
- RF Jared King: 1-4
- RHP Robert Gsellman: 6 IP, 9 H, 5 R, 5 ER, BB, 2 K
Advanced-A - St. Lucie Mets (40-42 / 5-7)_____________________________________
FORT MYERS 9, ST. LUCIE 0 (Box)
- CF Champ Stuart: 0-3, BB, K
- SS Jeff McNeil: 0-4, 2 K
- 1B Dominic Smith: 0-4, 2 K
- RF Victor Cruzado: 1-3, 2B, K
- SS Amed Rosario: DNP; That's more than a few games on the shelf now for Rosario. Haven't seen any word as to what the deal is.
- RHP Miller Diaz: 7 IP, 10 H, 5 R, 4 ER, BB, 3 K
Low-A - Savannah Sand Gnats (43-38 / 4-7)__________________________________
LEXINGTON 8, SAVANNAH 5 (Box)
- SS Luis Guillorme: 1-4, BB, K
- 1B Michael Katz: 2-4, R, K
- 3B Eudor Garcia: 2-5, R, 2B, HR, 3 RBI; His second homer in as many nights.
- CF John Mora: 2-5, RBI
- RHP Casey Delgado: 5 IP, 9 H, 7 R, 7 ER, BB, K
SS-A - Brooklyn Cyclones (12-5)_______________________________________
BROOKLYN 2, WILLIAMSPORT 1 (Box)
- PR-3B Branden Kaupe: 0-0
- 2B Vinny Siena: 1-4, K
- PH Michael Bernal: 0-0, BB
- 3B David Thompson: 0-4, K
- PR Jeff Diehl: 0-0, R
- CF Tucker Tharp: 1-5, K
- C Brandon Brosher: 0-4, 2 K; The plus thirty percent strikeout rate is not exciting in the early goings but the power surge since moving to Brooklyn is.
- RHP Tyler Badamo: 7 IP, 4 H, R, 0 ER, BB, 6 K; Badamo is a favorite of this space so we're always pleased to see him dealing.
Rookie - Kingsport Mets (7-7)__________________________
KINGSPORT 5, GREENVILLE 4 (Box)
- LF Raphael Ramirez: 1-5, R, K
- SS Luis Carpio: 1-4, 2 K
- 1B Dash Winningham: 1-4, R, HR, RBI, K
- C Patrick Mazeika: 1-2, R, RBI, 2 BB; Mashing at a .326/.436/.565 clip thus far. Between him, Ali Sanchez, and (perhaps, if he sticks) Brosher, I think the system now has some sorely needed catching depth.
- IF Milton Ramos: DNP
- CF Kevin Kaczmarski: 1-4, RBI
- RHP Connor Buchmann: 0.2 IP, H, 2 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 0 K
- RHP Nabil Crismatt: 5.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 8 K
- RHP Chase Ingram: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K
- RHP Witt Haggard: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
Rookie - GCL Mets (7-4)__________________________
GCL CARDINALS 7, GCL METS 1 (Box)
- CF Ricardo Cespedes: 0-4, K
- C Ali Sanchez: 2-4, R
- RF Jose Miguel Medina: 0-1
- CF Ivan Wilson: 0-3, K; It warmed my heart to see Wilson pop up in the box score the other day and start his season with an 0-for-4 with four strikeouts. Never change, Ivan. But, do. Please do.
- 3B Walter Rasquin: 0-4
- IF Alvin Maracaro: DNP
- IF Yeffry De Aza: DNP
- RHP Gabriel Llanes: 2 IP, 4 H, 0 R, BB, 0 K
- RHP Luis Mateo: 1 IP, H, 0 R, 0 BB, K; Rehab alert? It's been a long road to recovery for Mateo. Wishing him the best.
Star of the Night
Goat of the Night